Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2016 2:55:57 AM EDT
I have a Cav Arms lower (poly, integrated stock and grip) and would like to add some texture to the grip before I paint the rifle.  In the past I have used a spray can called "Skid Tex," which basically sprayed out a rubberized textured paint.  Sadly this product is no longer available.  I was contemplating using plain old textured paint (Rustoleum textured paint) to establish a rough surface on the grip and then paint.  

I have considered the Hogue Handall rubber slip-over grip, that's not what I'm looking for.

Something like Marine Tex that the precision guys use on their smooth-sided rifle stocks is also not gonna work, I don't need that aggressive of a surface, don't need to buy a whole tub of the stuff for one little grip, etc.

I simply want to add a little texture to the grip.  Anyone have any Skid-Tex alternatives, ie spray-on anti-skip paint, and/or any experience using simple textured paint for a similar purpose?  I would probably rough up the grip with sandpaper first to give the paint something to stick to, spray on a few coats of texture, and then finish the whole rifle with Alumahyde or Duracoat.  

Wondering if anyone here has done something similar, what product you used, and if it has held up (not flaked off) under use.

As an aside, a VTAC round tube forend that I bought years ago came with a great hard texture on the entire length of the tube, wondering what they use?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:56:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe that "Flex Seal" stuff?  Says it can be painted, but I think the paint would reduce any "stickiness" you'd get from it, andyou'de end up with no better than the paint you use.

How about just dusting the wet paint with fine grain sand?

or just google "nonskid paint"
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I painted the floor of  a Van I had by mixing sand into the paint .. I added it in increments till I got the consistency  I wanted.....It held up pretty good..
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#3]
duracoat has a spray on rubber sand texture if your looking for aggressive. if you want a slight texture you can try dusting from a distance with a matte clear duracoat or other. the idea is to have the clear dry a bit before it lays on the surface.not a true texured surface but doing that takes the slick off a clear coat.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I painted the floor of  a Van I had by mixing sand into the paint .. I added it in increments till I got the consistency  I wanted.....It held up pretty good..
View Quote

This.  Find a paint you like (or rubbery coating) and mix sand (can of paint), or spray on a light coat, dust with sand, and spray on an overcoat (spraypaint).
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a wood burning kit, and stipple the grip.  Plenty of you tube how to's.  Use the finest point in the kit.  You can practice on a pmag to get your technique down.    I've even stippled the plastic top on the side step to my Tundra.  Works great when steps are wet.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Shot in the dark here as I have never used it for anything but they make "truck bed liner" in a rattle can.

In quotes because it is not nearly as thick as a rhino liner for example. Basically textured paint I believe.

Rustoleum makes one (thay all do) shouldn't be too difficult to find.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:39:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shot in the dark here as I have never used it for anything but they make "truck bed liner" in a rattle can.

In quotes because it is not nearly as thick as a rhino liner for example. Basically textured paint I believe.

Rustoleum makes one (thay all do) shouldn't be too difficult to find.
View Quote

I have used the rattle can truck bed liner on a badly sporterized Mosin Nagant.  It worked well,

It also works well for touching up Springfield M1a synthetic stocks.

If it is too aggressive, a little sanding will smooth it down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top