Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2016 2:22:46 PM EDT
Gearing up to rattle can an ar....

What do you use to surface prep that doesn't leave a residue and is safe for polymer (i.e. magpul furniture, glock frame etc)

Im leaning acetone but before i bother testing it I'm sure somebody here as experience

well that and it does say "may soften or damage plastics, synthetics..." right on the can
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep acetone will eat through any plastic or polymer stuff so definitely wouldn't recommend it. Not sure if break cleaner does or not.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used a lot of brake clean in my day, in my experience it doesn't like plastics/ rubbers that aren't specifically formulated to be in contact with chemicals
fore example the seals on brake pistons do fine, but trying to clean a bearing in plastic butter tub makes it swell up and get soft
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Non chlorinated brake cleaner. Cheap and effective. Have used on ergo grips, magpul stocks, sopmod stocks, magpul grips, and a few other things. Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#4]
i recommend a citrus solvent, or anything not PH basic.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#5]
if your just doing a final degreasing dish soap and rinse with warm water works on plastics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top