Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2016 10:36:48 PM EDT
Wondering if anyone has tried this with good results. It claims it bonds with the plastic(most) and to become chip resistant after 7 days. I have a sniper grey fixed stock I want black. Sure I can buy a black one, but I have everything right here to try it so I figured I'd inquire here first to see if anyone has done it with success. Did it cured as claimed? did it stay soft & rub off right away or over time? etc. I was and am no longer a painter by trade and this would be considered half-assed so, I'm a little leery. even with a plastic adhesion promoter. Thanks

MODS, if this is in the incorrect section I apologize....
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I've painted lots of plastic parts with both Rustoleum and Krylon.
Both work the same.
If you like a worn finish over time go ahead and do it.
If you want the new gun look always (no wear) DON'T do it.
It holds up well for spray paint but it IS spray paint and will wear and scratch over time.
Good thing about it is it is easy and painless to repaint.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#2]
you should check out the Refinishing forum under the Armory tab above.

i've been very pleased with Krylon on pmags; before painting a rifle with a new color scheme, i'll paint a couple mags in variations just to see how it'll turn out. my painted pmags are tossed around quite a bit at the range, but the Krylon has held up reasonably well. best part is that it takes just a few minutes to throw on another coat if need be.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
What about plastic dye?
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#4]
1. Boil it in rit dye
2. Rinse with cold water
3. ... it's that easy. You won't be able to tell it wasn't black from the factory
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:07:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I gotta look into that. As long as it don't rub off. Ill give both a shot. Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top