Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2016 1:33:04 AM EDT
I had an upper and lower cerakoted in tungsten. It has a course/grainy feel to it. From what i read it is because it was a metallic color and to use very fine steel wool on it to smooth it out. Before i just goto town on it with some steel wool is there a proper way to do it? Does it need to be covered in oil or water before I scrub? Do i brush in circular patter or back and forth?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I had an upper and lower cerakoted in tungsten. It has a course/grainy feel to it. From what i read it is because it was a metallic color and to use very fine steel wool on it to smooth it out. Before i just goto town on it with some steel wool is there a proper way to do it? Does it need to be covered in oil or water before I scrub? Do i brush in circular patter or back and forth?

Thanks guys!
View Quote

Try it in a spot you cannot normally see. Like inside the upper receiver. If you are going to mount optics then on the picatinny rails where your mount will go. Use 0000 steel wool first as it will remove the least amount of finish, you can always go backwards until you get the appropriate sheen.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
A lot of the metallic colors will have a light "grit". As mentioned use some 0000 steel wool and that should work. I'd add some kind of lubrication like oil or water. Just something to help it slide over the finish.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#3]
None of the tungsten (or any metallic) I have sprayed have a rough texture. Sounds like the settings on the spray gun were wrong and it may have some dry spray.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:24:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
None of the tungsten (or any metallic) I have sprayed have a rough texture. Sounds like the settings on the spray gun were wrong and it may have some dry spray.  
View Quote

This guy is correct.  

Application error.  Should not have texture.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
PSI on your gun could have been too high.  I was having that issue until I got the PSI down to about 20
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Applied wrong, you can try using 0000 steel wool with a little oil to take it down. It will of course increase the sheen level.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Cerakote clear coat will smooth it out.

Either matte or glossy.

G.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top