Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2016 6:50:42 AM EDT
Gonna Kg gunkote/cerakote a glock here in a couple weeks. What is the best method for not dicking up the frame? I am leaning more towards kg but would assume the process is fairly similar.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Use aluminum oxide on a low PSI setting such as 45-60 and lightly blast your frame with the nozzle several inches away.  Once the frame looks dull, the surface is etched enough for the KG to adhere to.  I would use hot soapy water with Dawn and get the frame clean of all material and dry it out on low heat, about 150 for about 30-45 minutes.  Paint it, let it air dry for at least an hour and bake it on low temp around 200 for an hour to hour and a half.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#2]
In addition to above, hit it with some non-chlorinated, residue free brake cleaner.  That will thoroughly pull any oils from the frame, more so than just washing it (still a good idea).  I get it from Wal-mart....blue can...like $3. It sprays pretty hard which helps strip away any grime.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:20:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I did it somewhat differently.

I stripped the frame completely (except for that internal spring in the magwell), and cleaned it with hot detergent/water, rinsed it clean, dried it with (filtered) compressed air and then low heat.

Then I cerakoted it. Baked it at 170 F for 1 hour, and that was it.

The finish appears to be pretty durable (I don't have any other polymer frames in cerakote to compare it to).

I used Olive Drab mixed with aluminum shimmer.

G.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:22:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't use detergent and water. (depending on what detergent you are referring to) ...I've redid some cerakote for customers that similar methods were used.  I dip my frames in Acetone and immediately start using compressed air to dry it. If you go by what Cerakote recommends...you will never go wrong.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 5:26:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Remember to take out the plastic sleeve in the striker channel. Just a helpful reminder.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#7]
If you talked to KG and they said it would be alright, DON"T believe them.  They told me the same thing when I did my SAKO TRG42 stock...it cracked and I wasted over $1,000 replacing the stock...those assholes at KG never even called me back or returned my calls when I told them what happened.

Use the air cured Cerakote and play it safe or use Aervoe...not worth ruining anything polymer in the oven.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top