Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2015 9:53:25 AM EDT
I used to use KG almost exclusively until I bought into the Cerakote advertising..
I'm not knocking Cerakote at all.. I believe it's a great product and performs very well..
However.. recently I did some scratch tests with both on scrap steel and found it to be no more scratch resistant that good ole KG Gunkote..
I know I'm not the only one who has done this but aside from some of the goofy colors that don't come out like planned..
I think am going back..  
Anyone else with 15 plus years coating experience had this revelation..??
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:26:30 AM EDT
[#1]
On some o the professional Facebook groups I have been seeing this trend. Honestly I'd love to be able to switch, better prices for me as the applicator means better prices for the consumer, and Cerakote isn't exactly easy to work with... Problem is that people want Cerakote, can't beat that marketing machine.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#2]
And that's all it is...marketing.  KG or Moly Resin is the way to go, IMO. KG does have a special coating that is more scratch resistant than their regular, but you must call it in. It's only available in black. Kinda like an HK black. It's pretty tough stuff, much more so than Cerakote. They call it, 762. It's pricier, and comes out almost like tar when you spray it, but evens out when cured in the oven.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Moly resin hardly gets the credit it deserves. Good stuff and cheaper than the hype other people pay for.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:39:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I love KG, some of my earliest projects were done with KG.  I really like the High PTFE version for bolt carriers and receiver extensions.  KG is nice and thin and I can soak the inside of a buffer tube so that it has a nice, lubriciant coating.

That being said, I love Cerakote because I have found it to be very tough IF you apply it exactly right.....and there is the rub.  Cerakote is a bitch to work with.  I have tons of little tips and tricks I have gathered over the past few years....and I m getting better with it but DAMN it is fussy stuff.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have lots of stuff done in KG and haven't seen any performance issues from that to consider a needed change.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 3:30:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Which one stands up better to solvents?
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 3:32:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love KG, some of my earliest projects were done with KG.  I really like the High PTFE version for bolt carriers and receiver extensions.  KG is nice and thin and I can soak the inside of a buffer tube so that it has a nice, lubriciant coating.

That being said, I love Cerakote because I have found it to be very tough IF you apply it exactly right.....and there is the rub.  Cerakote is a bitch to work with.  I have tons of little tips and tricks I have gathered over the past few years....and I m getting better with it but DAMN it is fussy stuff.
View Quote

It definitely doesn't suffer fools.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never tried Gun Kote, but I think I will now.

Cerakote is just too finicky for my tastes.
In general (and there are exceptions), the simpler a product is to use, the better the results tend to be.

I just spent the afternoon playing around with custom mixes (for color) of engine paint in a gravity feed HVLP vs. a siphon feed HVLP.

I am up for some fcking simplicity.

G.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Liberty did my mystic in flat black gun kote iirc. With all the abuse that thing takes, it has stood up extremely well. I'm thinking about giving the KG a run on my own one of these days.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Liberty did my mystic in flat black gun kote iirc. With all the abuse that thing takes, it has stood up extremely well. I'm thinking about giving the KG a run on my own one of these days.
View Quote

My shop is going to be giving it a shot in the next few weeks. We will continue to do Cerakote, but it's nice to have another option to offer. On the applicator side, it's very attractive for a number of reasons.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Are you with mad pig customs by any chance?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I love Norrells Moly resin and KG guncoat.

No Mixing
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

I soaked a cerakoted piece of steel in PAINT REMOVER for two day.  Paint remover is just plain evil stuff.

Didn't even being to phase it.  Cerakote is....incredibly tough.

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:25:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Applied my first coat of KG this past weekend.

I like it. Not exactly necessary to sandblast new parts. Even though I've never done it with Cerakote either (I do it for personal uses....so I really could care less), and have had great results.

Painted the barrel

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I soaked a cerakoted piece of steel in PAINT REMOVER for two day.  Paint remover is just plain evil stuff.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which color?
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#16]
What is different about the prep/application???

I don't see instructions on the GunKote site.  Do they have them online?

I'm going to do a custom painted AR in the near future and planned to Cerakote.  I've done some custom jet ski paint (using X-otic colors, in my avatar) so I'm familiar with prep and technique (just haven't used Ceracoat or Gunkote specifically).  If both AS durable, I'd certainly prefer the less finicky one....  It will be for a new build, so everyone will already be stripped down, can be grit blasted etc.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Which color?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which color?

Graphite Black!!!  ( my favorite, though the SOCOM Blue is another excellent color...I never tested that one though )

As far as I can tell Armor Black is tough as nails, also.  That's what coats my Surefire muzzle break on my MaTen....still hanging tough after about 600 rounds so far!!! )

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Graphite Black!!!  ( my favorite, though the SOCOM Blue is another excellent color...I never tested that one though )

As far as I can tell Armor Black is tough as nails, also.  That's what coats my Surefire muzzle break on my MaTen....still hanging tough after about 600 rounds so far!!! )

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which color?

Almost knew it was going to -146.

It's pretty amazing. And not just for wear, there's some other properties it has that remarkable.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It's pretty amazing. And not just for wear, there's some other properties it has that remarkable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which color?

I can't get enough of the stuff....it is worth the misery of application...

Please let me subscribe to your newsletter!!!!

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Moly resin hardly gets the credit it deserves. Good stuff and cheaper than the hype other people pay for.
View Quote

That's all I use...!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top