Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2015 2:42:27 AM EDT
Would cerakoting a layer, and then flash curing it between each layer be advantageous in any way? I know that the coat will be thicker, and some spots should avoid the extra layers (any place a lower part will be installed). Would the second layer be weaker by nature due to having to adhere to another layer of cerakote? Does anybody have any experience doing this?
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't do it, it will flake and chip.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your input! I was worried that would be the case. I'll keep on keepin on in that case.

My next question: would these other layers like on multicam or kryptek be THAT much more prone to chip than the base color? Not that it matters if it gets some wear, especially on a camo finish where it won't be seen. Can anybody with a camo pattern chime in?
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for your input! I was worried that would be the case. I'll keep on keepin on in that case.

My next question: would these other layers like on multicam or kryptek be THAT much more prone to chip than the base color? Not that it matters if it gets some wear, especially on a camo finish where it won't be seen. Can anybody with a camo pattern chime in?
View Quote

No - and anyone says that extra layers after flash cure are more prone to chip.. is wrong. Extra thickness in a single coat with poor prep work is probably more likely to chip.. but well done Cerakote doesn't chip. Period.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No - and anyone says that extra layers after flash cure are more prone to chip.. is wrong. Extra thickness in a single coat with poor prep work is probably more likely to chip.. but well done Cerakote doesn't chip. Period.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen.  The key to CeraKote is PREP-PREP-PREP!!!

If you do your part...CeraKote will do its part.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:51:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Update, just did another batch, wasnt previously gassing out enough so i got blemishes in the texture. Like noticeable. That said, the receivers i just did still has a slight texture. The color is sig dark grey if that matters. Isnt cerakotr supposed to be smooth? I understand it wont be as smooth as anodizing, but in some spots its almost rough, but by no means looks blemished. Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Update, just did another batch, wasnt previously gassing out enough so i got blemishes in the texture. Like noticeable. That said, the receivers i just did still has a slight texture. The color is sig dark grey if that matters. Isnt cerakotr supposed to be smooth? I understand it wont be as smooth as anodizing, but in some spots its almost rough, but by no means looks blemished. Your thoughts?
View Quote
You can blend cured cerakote with wet dry paper....but choose your grit carefully.  I've been successful doing it with a light touch.  Denim cloth with a bit of rubbing compound or polishing compound can bring it all together.
You need a light touch, good light and a lot of luck at first.  Proceed very cautiously.

I always let my projects gas out at an ambient temperature and as I am painting and hanging, I start the oven out at a very low temp to promote soft, smooth outgassing.  Once everything is hung it sits at that low temp ( about 170 degrees ) for about fifteen to twenty minutes, then I bump up the temp to 190 for about twenty more then 205, for about ten or so and so on to the cure temp ( 245?  I can never remember ) and let it fully cure.  I get very good results this way.  I tend to think my cerakote a bit with MEK ( 10 percent by volume ) because I blast and then park most of my stuff prior to painting.  The MEK is one of the reasons I tend to let my stuff gas out very slowly.  I have had fantastic results considering my lighting isn't very good and my airbrush really isn't as up to par as my HVLP gun is.  

Once I get a new house I am going to set up for PROPER CeraKote application.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your rough spots are just dry spots - can probably rub them out at the cost of glossing the finish. It's challenging, especially without great light, to get that even, wet coat, but kind of critical for a super smooth finish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top