Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2015 10:12:08 PM EDT
Hello all, after reading through some old threads it seems that it was once popular to fill in unwanted rollmarks with JB weld (NO IMPORTANT INFORMATION). I took a stab at it and after standing, the outline of the rollmark was still present. I went ahead and cerakoted it afterward, but am switching colors so I'd like to get it fixed this time around. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it completely disappear? It's filled in deep, but just not flat with the rest of the surface.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#1]
you need to skim coat the whole area around where you filled in and feather it out.  like finishing a drywall seam or a small dent in a car.  

here's a lower i filled in the rollmark and some finger groves on the front of the magwell.  frankford arsenal has a big castle for their rollmatk and it didn't fit in to well on my retro rifle.

and the left side with the safe ,semi, auto markings filled

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Before filling with JB weld, I hit it with medium and then fine sandpaper.
Lots of times those roll marks have an edge to them which is above the surface of the surrounding metal. The sandpaper brings this flat.

Then of course after the JB weld/epoxy dries I sand that flush, and then paint with Cerakote/Duracoat.

Works pretty well.

G.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:23:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help guys, Ill take another stab at it this weekend.

I did put JB weld all over the area, then sanded it all down, so I wasn't solely focusing on the rollmark, but Ill apply y'alls advice and report back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top