Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2015 9:40:52 AM EDT
Will Krylon work if I spray it over cured cerakote, or will it come right off if exposed to rain / sweat / etc?  If so, anything in particular I need to do to the current cerakote finish before I spray over it?

I have had my rifle cerakoted H227 Tactical Gray for about 2 years now. The color is just a tad lighter then I ultimately want, being just solid tactical gray. I would really like to lay some fish net on it, and spray over a light black mist, maybe a different shade of gray, etc.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Will Krylon work if I spray it over cured cerakote, or will it come right off if exposed to rain / sweat / etc?  If so, anything in particular I need to do to the current cerakote finish before I spray over it?

I have had my rifle cerakoted H227 Tactical Gray for about 2 years now. The color is just a tad lighter then I ultimately want, being just solid tactical gray. I would really like to lay some fish net on it, and spray over a light black mist, maybe a different shade of gray, etc.
View Quote

It should stick, but like any Krylon it will wear off with time.

Maybe try a dab of pain in a spot you wont see, like remove the hand guard and try there and see if it sticks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:07:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I cerakoted several parts over the weekend, and mistakenly used too much hardener thus creating a glossy finish.

Okay, I thought, I don't have enough to refinish it, so I'll use 0000 steel wool. Worked somewhat, but I got greedy and wanted more.
So I took some krylon flat clearcoat and sprayed it. the slightest nick would damage it so I had to try to remove it, which adversely affected the look of my glock lower (not the metal parts). The stippling was the worst!
A day after it dried the one piece I have still kylon'd is more durable, but can still be scratched off with a fingernail. I know that it's just clearcoat, but I wouldn't do it.

Aervoe, maybe. Krylon.... I wouldn't. just my .02
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:45:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Cerakote is a ceramic finish, and is designed to chemically repel everything, including itself. (IE, you can't cerakote over cerakote once it's been cured fully)

So yes they krylon will go on, but will it stick to any reasonable expectation? Likely not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top