Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2015 3:58:56 PM EDT
I have an AK barrel in the white.  It's going to be used in a build that will get a camouflage paint job.  Nothing fancy, just a spray paint finish.

So, can I finish the barrel with a simple primer/paint combo, or is something more durable needed as a base coat?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have an AK barrel in the white.  It's going to be used in a build that will get a camouflage paint job.  Nothing fancy, just a spray paint finish.

So, can I finish the barrel with a simple primer/paint combo, or is something more durable needed as a base coat?
View Quote

When you are done building the rifle and get the barrel populated and installed into the reciever, what I suggest is heating the populated areas with a heat gun and letting any oils leach out. Then let it soak in a container of acetone for awhile. Then blast it and use high temp Barbeque spray paint, the kind you can get at Home Depot. If you do it this way, you'll have a fairly durable finish. There is no priming, instead 100-120 grit aluminum oxide blasting is what you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top