Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2015 2:44:59 PM EDT
So I Cerakoted my rife in Burnt Bronze and like the way it looked just fine, between shooting often, putting in the safe with other guns and watching it fall every time I lean it on something lol, it started getting pretty scratched up so I decided to embrace the scuffs and sprayed flat black krylon over it, then used a foam sanding block to remove the black especially on the hard edges and discovered regular paint does not like RemOil so after wiping the whole thing down with RemOil it got sticky but blended in well, I wiped it down with dry rags, through the parts in the oven for a few hours and this is the result. Best part is the more I scuff it the less I care lol. I know it is not every ones cup of tea.

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]
looks good
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Almost a patina.  Cool looking.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
As far as home-finished goes, I think it is one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it looks great, good job
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:33:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it looks great.  I'm just trying to get up the nerve to do this to one of mine.  LOL   Did the paint ever "re dry" after you distressed it or does it still have a sticky feel to it?
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone. It did dry but I did stick in the oven a few hours. I have not tried to spray remoil on it though lol.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like an antique
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I like it
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks everyone. It did dry but I did stick in the oven a few hours. I have not tried to spray remoil on it though lol.
View Quote

Was the krylon fully cured before you started distressing the finish?  What about when you wiped down the whole thing with rem oil?  Did you do more distressing after it was sticky paint or just wipe it down with the clean rags to blend it?
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice stick op!
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like an antiqued brass finish it's pretty cool OP
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Was the krylon fully cured before you started distressing the finish?  What about when you wiped down the whole thing with rem oil?  Did you do more distressing after it was sticky paint or just wipe it down with the clean rags to blend it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It was not fully cured.I sanded it with a sanding sponge when it was air dried after about an hour or so, then I had powder all over it and just thought I would wipe it down with rem oil and that is what gave it the antique look, it just literally started wiping all the black off so I kept doing it until it looked the way I liked and then wiped it dry with clean rags and then stuck in the oven a few hours. I went shooting yesterday and just cleaned it all up and no sticky at all now.

Thanks so much everyone.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:21:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks awesome.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Looks awesome.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome job!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I like it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Very nice OP!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top