Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2015 10:13:06 AM EDT
I came across this online and want to do something comparable. Does anyone have any ideas on how to reproduce a finish similar to this?

The closest I could figure is a gray base with strips of tape, then dust opposing sides tan and black and let them overlap. The gray seems to have the most "clean" lines.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#1]
It'll be interesting to see the replies. Some of the talent here will hopefully chime in. That is a good looking rifle and makes me agree with you and want to do something similar on my latest build.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#2]
My guess is he started dark then used painters tape, incrementally adding just a little tape onto areas to cover them up until finally applying the lightest layer last

That or did lightest layer first and went over it randomly with black and purple, it doesn't seem too complicated
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]
That is one of the very best light and shadow camouflage jobs I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#4]
No idea but from the looks of it may have cut like a slit in a paper plate or sheet of paper held at an angle up the muzzle and sprayed.

I say that because the paint is thicker near the muzzle then fades toward the rear.

That's my idea though
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#5]
airbrush and piece of paper
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Would you (or anyone) care to explain the technique?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the pic is dark on this crappy work computer. but, you use a piece of paper as a straight edge, holding the airbrush at an angle will produce a fade effect

when I came back in I will find a video
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks diverman, that would be great and highly appreciated. The more I look at that pattern the more I like it. I am really thinking maybe it is time to spray one of my rifles and since I have an AR-10 parts inventory almost complete, maybe this is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Wrapping in heavy rope?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top