Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2015 6:22:21 AM EDT
I'm about to do my first cerakote job and decided to go with Tungsten.

However, after receiving my sample tungsten swatch from cerakoteguncoatings.com... It appears a hell of a lot darker than I see online and even the sample picture from them.

It's my understanding that the " Disruptive Grey " on the jack carbine is close to Tungsten, but not exact.

From the online pictures i've seen of Tungsten cerakoted guns, it looks like a somewhat dark silver vs the DARK dark silver I got on my swatch.

Can someone with ACTUAL EXPERIENCE confirm or post a picture of a tungsten firearm that appears to be the exact shade in person vs online? I know some pictures don't show the color well, and it's hard to decipher which ones do.

According to my swatches, it appears that the color Titanium resembles the online pictures of Tungsten...
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:46:41 AM EDT
[#1]

KelTec makes a KSG in Tungsten
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That's just looks so light though. The picture makes it look like the titanium or something with blue in it. Is that an accurate picture? Or is too much light hitting it appearing brighter?
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
tungsten
View Quote

Ok. I guess you're not reading my post clearly.

I'm looking for a picture that closely resembles the color. Each tungsten picture I look at appears a different shade , I guess due to lighting.  I'm looking for someone will personal experience with the color, to post a picture of a tungsten coated gun and say "it looks just like this in person"

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I have used tungsten on two of my rifles. Both are what I consider pretty dark. The color wheel I have does not match the actual color. On my color wheel it would be darker than tungsten but not as dark as a McMillan grey. I could post pics, but like you said it's all about the lighting. My best description would be it is several shades darker than iPhone space gray but pretty close to my mophie juice pack helium that is metallic black. I hope this helps. I possibly could post a pic of  a side by side.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's just looks so light though. The picture makes it look like the titanium or something with blue in it. Is that an accurate picture? Or is too much light hitting it appearing brighter?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The lightness or darkness of the cerakote color really depends on how much hardener is used.
Also tungsten and burnt bronze photograph way lighter than they actaully are in person.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The lightness or darkness of the cerakote color really depends on how much hardener is used.
Also tungsten and burnt bronze photograph way lighter than they actaully are in person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hardener really changes the glossyness of the color. That could effect the color but the base is the base.
Also c series cerakote does not have hardener.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help guys. Glad I'm not crazy for thinking the color is darker in real life
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#9]
my P308 has the tungsten cerakote, I like it, its definitely not as light as that KSG.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
my P308 has the tungsten cerakote, I like it, its definitely not as light as that KSG.
<a href="http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/apatkos22/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150523_152822_zpsf858f1a8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t623/apatkos22/Mobile%20Uploads/20150523_152822_zpsf858f1a8.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice rifle, and yeah. That's about the shade I was guessing off of what everyone said. Thank you for your input!
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:01:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Tungsten
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's going to depend on the picture, the lighting, the camera, your computer monitor, etc.

You will never get a true representation of a color from the internetz.

If you have a swatch in your hands, that is what the color will look like.
View Quote

Totally not true, swatches don't always match. Did you even read the question or the replies?
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Very nice, I got some of that yesterday and am planning a paint job very shortly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1034.photobucket.com/user/gforce2018/media/002copy_zpsa2765717.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a423/gforce2018/002copy_zpsa2765717.jpg</a>

Tungsten

Very nice, I got some of that yesterday and am planning a paint job very shortly

What setup will you be using?
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#18]
O
Quoted:

Both. And it totally is true.

The paint that comes out is the paint that is on the swatch, on the gun or on a kitten.
If there are any variations, it's because you messed up somewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's going to depend on the picture, the lighting, the camera, your computer monitor, etc.

You will never get a true representation of a color from the internetz.

If you have a swatch in your hands, that is what the color will look like.

Totally not true, swatches don't always match. Did you even read the question or the replies?

Both. And it totally is true.

The paint that comes out is the paint that is on the swatch, on the gun or on a kitten.
If there are any variations, it's because you messed up somewhere.

So all cerakote that is sent matches every swatch every time?
The temperature you bake at  can change the color and not every oven is the same. What about air cure cerakote? Not anything to mix or bake.You can take a sample of tungsten cerakote on any surface and it does not match the swatch. So I guess I messed that up...
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 1:00:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Tungsten.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Front half of this is Tungsten, I've found Tungsten to be very consistent in its color. I do tend to agree, lighting, screen brightness etc... These will always affect how you perceive the colors.

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 4:31:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Front half of this is Tungsten, I've found Tungsten to be very consistent in its color. I do tend to agree, lighting, screen brightness etc... These will always affect how you perceive the colors.

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy324/Steve_Tyliszczak/image.jpg1_zpsl9wumb91.jpg
View Quote

Who did the Glock work? Nice.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#23]

And this one is Tungsten

We call it Nightwatch Grey (Darker then Tungsten)

It is ALL in the light!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I do a lot of gray variants.  I got a 60oz bottle of Titanium and mix black to make Tungsten and any shade between.   Put 10ml of Titanium in your beaker and add 2ml's of graphite black.  Mix and lay some out on the part to dry.  If you want it darker add more black until you get what you want.  

Never be afraid to mix!
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree most of the time Tungsten looks darker in person. My Agency Arms slide is Tungsten and I was pleasantly surprised when I actually got it in my hands, in the photo I saw of it before it was shipped it appeared to be more "titanium" in color.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I do a lot of gray variants.  I got a 60oz bottle of Titanium and mix black to make Tungsten and any shade between.   Put 10ml of Titanium in your beaker and add 2ml's of graphite black.  Mix and lay some out on the part to dry.  If you want it darker add more black until you get what you want.  

Never be afraid to mix!
View Quote

The price though !
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#27]
that ksg is way too light, all the tungsten's I've seen have been very consistent this is my glock 19 in tungsten

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Same experience.
It's a deceptive color....

Tungsten looked much darker in pics than when actually sprayed.

Ended up with tungsten/black mix to get it as dark as I wanted.

Definitely get some black in case.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
that ksg is way too light, all the tungsten's I've seen have been very consistent this is my glock 19 in tungsten

http://i.imgur.com/pAyGeir.jpg
View Quote

I like that shade a lot. That's what I was hoping mine would turn out to be.

Just got my rail in. All I need now is the cerakote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top