User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is a terrible business plan the logistics of dealing with that many individuals takes to much time you would lose money. Not to mention why would you market to the person that is looking for the cheapest possible price did you take the same approach when you purchased you firearm?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
35 shipped is lower than I have ever seen.

I've seen $35 for slides, $20 for flashlights and holsters, and $15 for single knives.

It amazes me if there isn't a guy who doesn't eat up all the business in the country doing bulk Cerakoting batches.

He could even keep it down to a single color a month:

Jan - Graphite Black
Feb - Burnt Bronze
etc...

If he went on all the gun/knife/holster/etc forums and word got out that he was the $10/15/20/30 bulk rate Cerakote guy who uses the real stuff and is practically a professional with all the experience he has; I expect he could get hundreds of items for each batch.  Managing everyone's shipping details might be dicey, but the profit is definitely there, especially if everyone else charges what they do and stay in business.

That is a terrible business plan the logistics of dealing with that many individuals takes to much time you would lose money. Not to mention why would you market to the person that is looking for the cheapest possible price did you take the same approach when you purchased you firearm?

hell no it's not.  That guy would make a fortune.  Pick a diff forum each month. Have the 15th your cutoff date to receive items. (mail by 12th).  do prep the next week, spray early final week and ship end of final week.  Then sit back and enjoy the rewards.  If I had the equipment, I'd do it in a second.  And gladly enjoy my $1000+ profit each month.  I'd do only stuff non-ffl like slides, small parts, knives, holsters, stocks, mags, etc etc.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You have no idea what you're talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been doing locally slides for $35 a piece ($40 returned vi aUSPS if not local). I'm AD .mil so I do it on the side for a little spending cash. It's some profit but not what some guys need to maintain a full on FFL with ITAR fee to do lowers etc.
Full on FFL? If you are charging its illegal without at least an 01 FFL.  

When did the ATF say it is legal to refinish guns for profit without an FFL?

Q: Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Q: Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?
Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been doing locally slides for $35 a piece ($40 returned vi aUSPS if not local). I'm AD .mil so I do it on the side for a little spending cash. It's some profit but not what some guys need to maintain a full on FFL with ITAR fee to do lowers etc.

Slides aren't guns. He specifically said slides.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My mistake

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey Leon just out of curiosity what do you do for a living?
View Quote

I work in the medical field.
Though I'm not quite sure how that's relevant to the discussion.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I always look for the cheapest price when I am looking for a firearm.  It is not really the same for a service.  You might want to come up with another analogy.
View Quote

I don't look for the "cheapest" service, but I do shop around and look at the cost to quality ratio.
If a vendor is putting out a quality product and offers a better price, why not give them my business?

If I was looking to get a rifle done in multicam battleworn cerakote, I would spend the dough and go with BDL -
If I'm just looking to have a single color like burnt bronze done I have no issue going with the gentleman I use that offers a reasonable price.
I haven't been disappointed yet.

By the way, I have no issue with people charging more for service.
If people are paying, more power to you.
I only had the issue with the one gentleman in here that found the need to put down someone else's work due to the fact that they charge less than him.
That's ridiculous.

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 2:43:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't look for the "cheapest" service, but I do shop around and look at the cost to quality ratio.
If a vendor is putting out a quality product and offers a better price, why not give them my business?

If I was looking to get a rifle done in multicam battleworn cerakote, I would spend the dough and go with BDL -
If I'm just looking to have a single color like burnt bronze done I have no issue going with the gentleman I use that offers a reasonable price.

I only had the issue with the one gentleman in here that found the need to put down someone else's work due to the fact that they charge less than him.
That's ridiculous.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always look for the cheapest price when I am looking for a firearm.  It is not really the same for a service.  You might want to come up with another analogy.

That's ridiculous.

If you feel the need to lie about me, call me out in the pit.  This is a tech forum.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you feel the need to lie about me, call me out in the pit.  This is a tech forum.
View Quote

tech forum, , yeah, because the talk in this thread has been so technical...this forum needs to get off it, seriously.  Have you seen some of the threads in the "tech" section???
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:41:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A lot of those guys got shut down by the ATF for running illegal firearm businesses.

To run a legitimate shop, it takes a lot of overhead, licensing, taxes etc.

I do a lot of bulk work, mostly for manufacturers. And yes, they get a considerable discount. But it's all the same part, all the same color, and all bare parts.

To take in a random Glock slide at 35$ including shipping, I would lose money. I don't generally like paying people to let me work on their guns, but some people might be into that type of thing.

Some person doing it in their kitchen and no taxes or government involvement might be able to break a profit on that.

If you can get 10-20 people on board for a group deal, all the same parts and all the same color, we can start talking about cutting some deals.
View Quote

OP you need to go look at some of this guy's work.  They have a page on Instagram.    I have been working on ideas for some projects and the stuff he is putting out there looks top notch and puts him on my short list.  The custom shades alone have caught my eye.

Step up and pay for a quality job.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's ridiculous.

Which part do you feel is being lied about?
Did you not just talk smack about that guys slide work?

You've yet to produce any pictures of the quality of work you claim to produce.

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

OP you need to go look at some of this guy's work.  They have a page on Instagram.    I have been working on ideas for some projects and the stuff he is putting out there looks top notch and puts him on my short list.  The custom shades alone have caught my eye.

View Quote

"custom" shades are really not that difficult to make.
Specially when you're only mixing two colors.
Heck most of the recipes are online.
Their work is nice. But not a premium nice.

BDL is about the only current cerakoter out there that genuinely impresses me and I could see spending the extra cash with.
Though obviously that's my opinion and others may differ.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I would be curious to know what about our work you do not consider to be premium compared to the other shop you are impressed with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BDL is about the only current cerakoter out there that genuinely impresses me and I could see spending the extra cash with.

I would be curious to know what about our work you do not consider to be premium compared to the other shop you are impressed with.

I didn't say your work isn't premium.
I said personally I can't justify paying a premium for a single or mixed coat of cerakote.

I actually just looked at your instagram. The hand-stenciled multicam I can see paying a premium for.
But again, single or mixed colors. Nope.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's understandable. Our custom colors are generally developed for branding purposes. A certain manufacturer will want a special color so we will mix something up special for them. If it's not exclusive we offer it to the public at no extra charge.

Hand stenciled, distressed, "sponge" camo effect, fades, patterns et al, obviously will all cost more due to the extra labor involved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say your work isn't premium.
I said personally I can't justify paying a premium for a single or mixed coat of cerakote.

I actually just looked at your instagram. The hand-stenciled multicam I can see paying a premium for.
But again, single or mixed colors. Nope.

That's understandable. Our custom colors are generally developed for branding purposes. A certain manufacturer will want a special color so we will mix something up special for them. If it's not exclusive we offer it to the public at no extra charge.

Hand stenciled, distressed, "sponge" camo effect, fades, patterns et al, obviously will all cost more due to the extra labor involved.

Yeah, that's completely reasonable.
That multicam job is one of the nicest I've seen.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reason I asked because you seem to be an expert on refinishing I thought maybe you were in the industry.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The reason I asked because you seem to be an expert on refinishing I thought maybe you were in the industry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely not an expert.
Just had way too much shit cerakoted.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dan_Gray, thanks for that.  I need no FFL since I am not doing any firearms or gunsmithing work.  I've done a lot of raw slides purchased from places like the Glock store, that require no shipment to an FFL holder.  I read and reread the ATF rules multiple times, as I am an Active Duty Servicemember with an active security clearance.  I'm not going to go screwing that up for a few bucks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Until I got my FFL I only did parts and no serialled receivers unless the customer waited.  Once you have an FFL you can have customers ship right to you and back.  I went with an 07 FF and an 02 SOT so I can do suppressors too.

I also love to mix.  Why get a color everyone has.  Make a new one and have a unique firearm.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Until I got my FFL I only did parts and no serialled receivers unless the customer waited.  Once you have an FFL you can have customers ship right to you and back.  I went with an 07 FF and an 02 SOT so I can do suppressors too.

I also love to mix.  Why get a color everyone has.  Make a new one and have a unique firearm.
View Quote

You don't need an SOT to work on NFA stuff.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#22]
May not be really relevant, but does anyone know who does the cerakote work for Agency Arms? The Tungsten on my slide looks great, and the local FFL I had it shipped to also does cerakote and the first thing he said was how nice the cerakote work was.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top