Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/30/2015 10:56:37 PM EDT
So it seems everyone and their brother would be thrilled to Cerakote your pistol slide for somewhere between $50-150, plus $15 shipping to get it back to you.  People are glad to refer you to their local guy, who offers nothing different than the other 500 people doing it, other than pretending that the other 500 aren't as good at baking as they are.  For high quality/high dollar jobs, I understand that niche, but I'm looking for the bulk guy(s) that do good sized batches to give 10-20 people a good deal.

What happened to the $35 for a slide Cerakote, return shipping included?  Is there anyone left still like that? If so, my googling is getting worse because I can't find them.

Or have things changed and the market rate for a simple single color bake-on is 2-3x what it used to be?

There has to be someone out there who's eating everyone else's lunch because he's doing a tray of 50 items at a time while every other "applicator" is doing ones and twos.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Forgot to add, I'm also ok with not being too picky on color and having my slide wait a week or two to get batched in with someone else's job, any respectable bronze/black/gray/brown color will do, probably going to pass on prison pink...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#2]
What make of gun?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What make of gun?
View Quote

Glock 17
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#4]
35 shipped is lower than I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've seen $35 for slides, $20 for flashlights and holsters, and $15 for single knives.

It amazes me if there isn't a guy who doesn't eat up all the business in the country doing bulk Cerakoting batches.

He could even keep it down to a single color a month:

Jan - Graphite Black
Feb - Burnt Bronze
etc...

If he went on all the gun/knife/holster/etc forums and word got out that he was the $10/15/20/30 bulk rate Cerakote guy who uses the real stuff and is practically a professional with all the experience he has; I expect he could get hundreds of items for each batch.  Managing everyone's shipping details might be dicey, but the profit is definitely there, especially if everyone else charges what they do and stay in business.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've seen $35 for slides, $20 for flashlights and holsters, and $15 for single knives.

It amazes me if there isn't a guy who doesn't eat up all the business in the country doing bulk Cerakoting batches.

Jan - Graphite Black
Feb - Burnt Bronze
etc...

If he went on all the gun/knife/holster/etc forums and word got out that he was the $10/15/20/30 bulk rate Cerakote guy who uses the real stuff and is practically a professional with all the experience he has; I expect he could get hundreds of items for each batch.  Managing everyone's shipping details might be dicey, but the profit is definitely there, especially if everyone else charges what they do and stay in business.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jan - Graphite Black
Feb - Burnt Bronze
etc...

Sounds like you found your niche. Step up
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:11:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Glock 17
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What make of gun?

Glock 17

Send it back to Glock, get it done correctly instead of "maybe". While it's there, get new NS on it and have the slide overhauled with new parts. It can ALL be done at a VERY reasonable price.

From Glock FAQ:

How do I return my Glock pistol for service / repair?

Download the Warranty Form and follow the instructions. If you have additional questions, you can contact Technical Services at (770) 432-1202.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:42:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I've seen guys on Ebay that offer the $35 job, but do you really want the $35 job?

Sounds like a Maaco paint job.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So it seems everyone and their brother would be thrilled to Cerakote your pistol slide for somewhere between $50-150, plus $15 shipping to get it back to you.  People are glad to refer you to their local guy, who offers nothing different than the other 500 people doing it, other than pretending that the other 500 aren't as good at baking as they are.  For high quality/high dollar jobs, I understand that niche, but I'm looking for the bulk guy(s) that do good sized batches to give 10-20 people a good deal.

What happened to the $35 for a slide Cerakote, return shipping included?  Is there anyone left still like that? If so, my googling is getting worse because I can't find them.

Or have things changed and the market rate for a simple single color bake-on is 2-3x what it used to be?

There has to be someone out there who's eating everyone else's lunch because he's doing a tray of 50 items at a time while every other "applicator" is doing ones and twos.
View Quote

The problem with the firearms industry is that everyone wants a quality product or service for nothing. In any other industry, products sell for at least four times the manufacturing cost. There is money to be made in cerakote, but honestly dealing with people that continually try to lowball and sway you on your prices is a never ending headache.  Our shop does Cerakote for individuals and for a manufacturer, and pricing is leagues different because of the continual demand and simplicity of working with a manufacturer. If you want your slide done for $35, the best bet is to start doing it yourself, because by the time you factor your cost, its not worth your time to make $100 total off doing 10 slides.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A lot of those guys got shut down by the ATF for running illegal firearm businesses.

To run a legitimate shop, it takes a lot of overhead, licensing, taxes etc.

I do a lot of bulk work, mostly for manufacturers. And yes, they get a considerable discount. But it's all the same part, all the same color, and all bare parts.

To take in a random Glock slide at 35$ including shipping, I would lose money. I don't generally like paying people to let me work on their guns, but some people might be into that type of thing.

Some person doing it in their kitchen and no taxes or government involvement might be able to break a profit on that.

If you can get 10-20 people on board for a group deal, all the same parts and all the same color, we can start talking about cutting some deals.
View Quote

Exactly, we have the capability of doing production work, and we do that and they get discounts but they give me hundreds of pieces. $35 for a Glock slide? No chance, it's $3 something for the striker liner replacement, then abother 5-8 for return shipping, then my time blasting and coating, not to mention the product itself. Where is my profit? I do friends favors every so often when I'm doing batch work anyways, but still, the prep time, then oven time all costs money. My oven is either natural gas or electricity depending on which one I am paying for and that's sure not free. I do discounts for local FFL's starting at 3 pieces, and it's no where near $35. The days of guys in their garage doing them are slowly ending, hell, I started out as one of those guys... ATF rules changed, so did my business.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Exactly, we have the capability of doing production work, and we do that and they get discounts but they give me hundreds of pieces. $35 for a Glock slide? No chance, it's $3 something for the striker liner replacement, then abother 5-8 for return shipping, then my time blasting and coating, not to mention the product itself. Where is my profit? I do friends favors every so often when I'm doing batch work anyways, but still, the prep time, then oven time all costs money. My oven is either natural gas or electricity depending on which one I am paying for and that's sure not free. I do discounts for local FFL's starting at 3 pieces, and it's no where near $35. The days of guys in their garage doing them are slowly ending, hell, I started out as one of those guys... ATF rules changed, so did my business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of those guys got shut down by the ATF for running illegal firearm businesses.

To run a legitimate shop, it takes a lot of overhead, licensing, taxes etc.

I do a lot of bulk work, mostly for manufacturers. And yes, they get a considerable discount. But it's all the same part, all the same color, and all bare parts.

To take in a random Glock slide at 35$ including shipping, I would lose money. I don't generally like paying people to let me work on their guns, but some people might be into that type of thing.

Some person doing it in their kitchen and no taxes or government involvement might be able to break a profit on that.

If you can get 10-20 people on board for a group deal, all the same parts and all the same color, we can start talking about cutting some deals.

I had some friends that run a body shop and towing company. They had a cartoon taped up on a post right at the front desk where a guy getting towed was saying "the last guys used to give me a discount till they went out of business"

There's always people who undervalue your time and they are usually not worth dealing with. My coworker recently started ceracoating and doing NFA/FFL stuff. I constantly have to prod him not to give me a break as well as other friends. Make a fair price and run with it. If people want you to succeed they will give you business.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

My guy does slides for $25 + $5 Priority shipping.  
Danco411
arclightprecision- google it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd  be losing money at 35 each,  unless I had 30 or so to do at once.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:58:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I do cerakote and cnc work.  I'm still a small business and can cut a deal for bulk work but not $35 for a slide and return shipping.  If 20 people can put together glock sides, all COMPLETELY stripped, all the same color I could do something close to that but it wouldn't include return shipping.  I've seen the $25 cerakote jobs.  They're cheap and cheap for a reason.  Most don't do proper prep or aren't licensed.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a customer who just got a slide back from being milled for some cuts and such, simple Glock 19 slide. The guy then Cerakoted it. He tried this shop because they offered very cheap work, he now knows why. Massive tool marks on all cuts, and it was chipping off Cerakote by the time it got back to him, I pointed out it was because you could clearly see the slide had never even been blasted. Sorry folks, but you get what you pay for. Cerakote is by far the most unforgiving of all the coatings, it's just not something that most can effectively do at home unless they have access to a blast cabinet and proper media.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Id like to field this one. There is a reason you dont find applicators offering these prices (for long). An applicator of any size not operating out of there garage has overhead. Lowering your prices to levels that dont sustain you doesnt automatically mean your gonna make it up in volume. My partner and I have been doing Cerakote and Hydrographic printing for 6 years here in Spokane ( liquidtransformations.com ). In that time we have seen many a business open and close, many tried to eat our lunch in the manner you describe. Garage shops can "afford" to do it but get tired of working for pennies and close down after a while. We are now the only business of our type in the area.
 That being said we do often work with groups that want a better deal. If folks can send us 10-20 completely stripped pieces (slides or frames) we could Cerakote them for $50 each return shipping included (to one address). Small parts like slide catches, safeties, hammers,etc we could throw in for $10 each. We generally charge $40 per color change because of product loss and gun cleaning time but on a bulk deal if you had a few different colors you wanted we could knock that down to $20. Turn around time would be 2-3 weeks. We hold a class 7 FFL and are a completely legitimate business that stands behind its work.
 As to process the prep and application is key with Cerakote, any monkey can bake the stuff. We sand blast, bake out oils and re-blast for a perfect surface. We then apply an even light coat of Cerakote. Many back yard applicators hog it on, thicker is not better. If you remove our finish you remove metal. Then of course we bake it, unless we used the air cure version on a part that cant be baked.
 Hope this shines some light for you.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Times change, material cost go up, tooling cost go up, utility cost go up, shipping cost go up.  All this means the cost of the job has to go up.  

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Danco411 does proper prep and spray and bake.  $25 a pop like I said.  Here is two he did for me.  One is SOCOM blue and the other is Titanium

you know he blasts them because the hideous RIA billboard was hidden well on that slide ^^^

A lot of times people just get butthurt and start saying "no way you get quality work for that $$$"  when someone is cheaper than them for the same product/service.  It was the same way when I worked at the GM dealership.  Sell the tech's, they told us.  Pffft, most of our tech's were fresh outta school and had to call the "techline" on simple stuff.  Find a good reliable "wrench" and you are better off.  Just like LGS's saying "oh, we can't do FFL transfers for less than $35 per or we are losing $$$".  BS, it is pure profit and it takes minutes.  Luckily I have a local guy that does them for $15 a pop.  Shop around guys, don't be dumb.  "a fool and his money are quickly parted"...
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Danco411 does proper prep and spray and bake.  $25 a pop like I said.  Here is two he did for me.  One is SOCOM blue and the other is Titanium
<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/DCopp/media/Flatscreen%20mounting/IMG_20140710_104351_203_zpsjyc5xggt.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/DCopp/Flatscreen%20mounting/IMG_20140710_104351_203_zpsjyc5xggt.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/DCopp/media/guns%20and%20gun%20stuff/KIMG0116_zpsnh6cbmmv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/DCopp/guns%20and%20gun%20stuff/KIMG0116_zpsnh6cbmmv.jpg</a>
you know he blasts them because the hideous RIA billboard was hidden well on that slide ^^^

A lot of times people just get butthurt and start saying "no way you get quality work for that $$$"  when someone is cheaper than them for the same product/service.  It was the same way when I worked at the GM dealership.  Sell the tech's, they told us.  Pffft, most of our tech's were fresh outta school and had to call the "techline" on simple stuff.  Find a good reliable "wrench" and you are better off.  Just like LGS's saying "oh, we can't do FFL transfers for less than $35 per or we are losing $$$".  BS, it is pure profit and it takes minutes.  Luckily I have a local guy that does them for $15 a pop.  Shop around guys, don't be dumb.  "a fool and his money are quickly parted"...
View Quote

A proper blasting job doesn't hide logos.  That's shitty work.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/DCopp/media/Flatscreen%20mounting/IMG_20140710_104351_203_zpsjyc5xggt.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/DCopp/Flatscreen%20mounting/IMG_20140710_104351_203_zpsjyc5xggt.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/DCopp/media/guns%20and%20gun%20stuff/KIMG0116_zpsnh6cbmmv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/DCopp/guns%20and%20gun%20stuff/KIMG0116_zpsnh6cbmmv.jpg</a>

Looks like he used sand or something.

One thing I've learned with one of my local competitors, most people don't really know what a good job looks like and they are perfectly okay with what we would consider sub par work just because they have no frame of reference. It's really not the customers fault, more the fault of the applicators for not properly educating their customers and taking their hard earned money. That said, sure, that's a $25 job.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

It does when you ask him to.  He uses aluminum oxide.  Those older RIA logos were barely there on the slides, have you ever seen/felt one?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
that image is massively distorted so that is why it looks like that.  I don't know what you are whining about.  The point of people cerakoting their gun is to have a custom color that is durable too.  He did just that, and for substantially less than most other people.  He has a 07 FFL and builds supressors at his place too.  He does the proper steps and my crappy cell phone camera doesn't do the work justice.  Because my money is "hard earned" as you say, I'll continue to be frugal when I spend for coatings knowing I have a good job done by a reputable guy for much less $$$.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
that image is massively distorted so that is why it looks like that.  I don't know what you are whining about.  The point of people cerakoting their gun is to have a custom color that is durable too.  He did just that, and for substantially less than most other people.  He has a 07 FFL and builds supressors at his place too.  He does the proper steps and my crappy cell phone camera doesn't do the work justice.  Because my money is "hard earned" as you say, I'll continue to be frugal when I spend for coatings knowing I have a good job done by a reputable guy for much less $$$.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever makes you happy, you're the customer. Not sure why you're taking these comments so personally.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It does when you ask him to.  He uses aluminum oxide.  Those older RIA logos were barely there on the slides, have you ever seen/felt one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  The fact that you defend that shitty work is almost as funny as the work itself.    That is NOT quality work.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes.  The fact that you defend that shitty work is almost as funny as the work itself.    That is NOT quality work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

what's wrong with it in your opinion?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's cheaper than they're charging, and killing business for them.
That's their problem.

The guy I use does fantastic work, great prices and has an FFL -
He even made a custom mix per my instructions for me which came out fantastic too.
Unlike some of the people in this thread he doesn't do it as a main form of income and expect to get rich off of it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's their problem.

He even made a custom mix per my instructions for me which came out fantastic too.
Unlike some of the people in this thread he doesn't do it as a main form of income and expect to get rich off of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's their problem.

I'm not threatened in any way by any other applicator out there.  I turn business away already and am averaging a 3 month backlog right now because I have so much to do.  

I explained on page one the issue with that slide.   The logo is destroyed from improper and/or excessive media blasting.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I explained on page one the issue with that slide.   The logo is destroyed from improper and/or excessive media blasting.
View Quote

That logo is lasered on. I'm surprised there's anything left of it at all from blasting.
You can actually use aluminum black and mask most of that logo up due to it being so swallow in depth.

That aside, I'm curious what you charge to coat an upper/lower/9.5" rail/and an MFT battlelink stock in a custom burnt bronze/graphite mix.

Also, we'd love to see some of your work in high quality photographs so we can critique it as well.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This.

I have more work than I can handle at the moment. We have closed off outside work aside from contracts for other manufacturers at the moment.

I can cut my margins to zero if I wanted to because I am blessed with that type of flexibility in income that comes from other areas. But what's the point? Working myself to death for less money than I could make flipping burgers is not how I envision a successful business model.

At the end of the day, if a man gives his work away for free, he has nothing left to sell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not threatened in any way by any other applicator out there.  I turn business away already and am averaging a 3 month backlog right now because I have so much to do.  

This.

I have more work than I can handle at the moment. We have closed off outside work aside from contracts for other manufacturers at the moment.

I can cut my margins to zero if I wanted to because I am blessed with that type of flexibility in income that comes from other areas. But what's the point? Working myself to death for less money than I could make flipping burgers is not how I envision a successful business model.

At the end of the day, if a man gives his work away for free, he has nothing left to sell.

Indeed. I don't know any other decent applicators without signifigant lead times these days. Everyone has a choice to run their business as they see fit, if they value their work so little they choose to give it away, more power to their customers and I'll continue to redo their bad work when it comes through my shop to get done right. Admittedly, there's nothing I hate more than a customer paying for the same job twice.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Though it is true that most coaters have quite a backlog right now, even my guy.
I still stand behind what I said, some aren't looking to get rich from it or a primary source of income.
It's funny that those charging more are quick to bad mouth those that are doing it for less.

Also let's face it, coating with cerakote isn't rocket science.
Any shmo with a decent set-up could get a decent coating down.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Though it is true that most coaters have quite a backlog right now, even my guy.
I still stand behind what I said, some aren't looking to get rich from it or a primary source of income.
It's funny that those charging more are quick to bad mouth those that are doing it for less.

Any shmo with a decent set-up could get a decent coating down
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

My coating business isn't my primary business, nor do I expect to get rich off of it, but I enjoy it, I'm good at it, and it brings in extra income so I continue it and it expands. That said, If you really believe what you just said, you really are out of your depth. If you think doing single color slides rakes us in the dough you clearly have no clue what you're talking about and at this point I'm going to just agree to disagree with you.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My coating business isn't my primary business, nor do I expect to get rich off of it, but I enjoy it, I'm good at it, and it brings in extra income so I continue it and it expands. That said, If you really believe what you just said, you really are out of your depth. If you think doing single color slides rakes us in the dough you clearly have no clue what you're talking about and at this point I'm going to just agree to disagree with you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

That's exactly my point. It doesn't rake in the dough. So why act like it? That's what some of the coaters in here act like it's their primary source of income, and that they need to squeeze every possible penny out of their work to feed their nineteen kids - and in the process put down someone else's work due to it being cheaper than their work.
We're lucky to be able to have the freedom to charge what we want, so why put down others for charging less?

That being said, if you guys are so quick to critique others work, post some high-quality pictures of your work.
I'm still waiting for Dan to throw up some high-res pictures of his work.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Here's some cerakote my guy did for me - A custom blend I asked him to mix.
He's an FFL/SOT, and has reasonable pricing.

Shop around folks, don't be so quick to throw cash at those trying to justify their high prices.
Plenty of coaters out there that aren't living a false dream of getting rich of coating.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
First off. I never criticized anyone else's work. I do agree, that you get what you pay for. If someone is willing to do it for nothing, then they obviously aren't invested in the project and will typically turn out junk work.
You obviously aren't completely blind to the cost of quality by the choice in your rifle. I mean, a PSA frankenbuild will put rounds down range all day long. Why did you feel the need to invest in a higher quality name brand? Clearly it's because you felt one brand was worth more than the other.

All painters don't charge the same, in any medium. I don't care if you are painting guns, cars, houses or kitchen cabinets. So if you don't like the price, move along. There are always people willing to do it cheaper. But to immediately discredit one artist over another, and say one is just a ripoff is completely disrespectful.

You theory that "any schmoe can do it" doesn't hold much water unless you are willing to start painting your own guns. You could counter this with the arguments that you don't want to invest in the equipment, or you don't have time. Well what makes you think I want to not make a return on my equipment investment, or that your time is worth more than mine?

I guess any "schome" could give you a tattoo too. Do you look for the cheapest option possible?

Bottom line is this. A market will bear it's own weight.
Anyone priced too high will not get any business and will eventually go under.
Anyone priced too low will never cut a profit and will eventually go under.

I'm comfortable with my prices. And considering I have been doing this for years, painted thousands of guns, never changed my pricing and none of my customers are complaining... I would assume they agree with me.
View Quote

My comment regarding criticizing work was more towards Dan.
This build would be the definition of Frankenbuild. $170 lower upper set from EE. $160 overrun DD barrel.
I paid a bit more for the upper/lower due to liking the logo and integrated trigger guard.
My other build that is burnt bronze and CMR rail is with an aero set.
Also psa offers the best bang for the buck with their chf uppers.

Also I have no idea what you charge. It could be reasonable. But being in this thread trying to put down others that charge less is low and disrespectful.

The guy I use is fantastic though. He always go out of his way. Even sending me pictures before mailing it out to make sure I'm happy with it. Offering to respray if I'm not happy.
I originally found him because I needed a trigger guard coated and numerous coaters turned me down cause the part was too small.
He did for a fantastic price and sprayed it when he did a burnt bronze rifle for someone else.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I've been doing locally slides for $35 a piece ($40 returned vi aUSPS if not local). I'm AD .mil so I do it on the side for a little spending cash. It's some profit but not what some guys need to maintain a full on FFL with ITAR fee to do lowers etc.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
First off. I never criticized anyone else's work. I do agree, that you get what you pay for. If someone is willing to do it for nothing, then they obviously aren't invested in the project and will typically turn out junk work.
You obviously aren't completely blind to the cost of quality by the choice in your rifle. I mean, a PSA frankenbuild will put rounds down range all day long. Why did you feel the need to invest in a higher quality name brand? Clearly it's because you felt one brand was worth more than the other.

All painters don't charge the same, in any medium. I don't care if you are painting guns, cars, houses or kitchen cabinets. So if you don't like the price, move along. There are always people willing to do it cheaper. But to immediately discredit one artist over another, and say one is just a ripoff is completely disrespectful.

You theory that "any schmoe can do it" doesn't hold much water unless you are willing to start painting your own guns. You could counter this with the arguments that you don't want to invest in the equipment, or you don't have time. Well what makes you think I want to not make a return on my equipment investment, or that your time is worth more than mine?

I guess any "schome" could give you a tattoo too. Do you look for the cheapest option possible?

Bottom line is this. A market will bear it's own weight.
Anyone priced too high will not get any business and will eventually go under.
Anyone priced too low will never cut a profit and will eventually go under.

I'm comfortable with my prices. And considering I have been doing this for years, painted thousands of guns, never changed my pricing and none of my customers are complaining... I would assume they agree with me.
View Quote

I just saw your MOD 5 carbine. You do great cerakote work. And I'm sure it's worth every penny you charge.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I've been doing locally slides for $35 a piece ($40 returned vi aUSPS if not local). I'm AD .mil so I do it on the side for a little spending cash. It's some profit but not what some guys need to maintain a full on FFL with ITAR fee to do lowers etc.
View Quote
Full on FFL? If you are charging its illegal without at least an 01 FFL.

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 5:41:55 AM EDT
[#42]
I want this stripped upper cerakoted in Magpul FDE.  How much would it cost to do?

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Chiming in here.  Thanks DWCopple.

I have been Cerakoting for five years so I do have a clue.  I follow all the rules and never skimp.  The RIA logo is thin laser mark not a roll mark.  He asked to remove it so I did the best I could.

I do this as a hobby business.  I have a real job too.   My shop, blast room and paint room is in my basement so it is convenient for me to work anytime.  I have no overhead except for my supplies of which I buy in bulk.  I have a class 07 FFL and 02 SOT license.  Not much more to say.  I don't have my website up because I am as busy as I want to be right now.  My email is [email protected]  I am also on FFL Lookup.

Here is a slideshow of some of my work.  I hope they are high enough res for ya.

http://s353.photobucket.com/user/danco411/slideshow/Arclight%20Precision%20Cerakote%20Gallery
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Better?
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Better?
View Quote

You'd pretty much have to delete your entire post to not be violating the rules.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:11:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Better?
View Quote

You do some pretty awesome work from what's posted in that slideshow.  I've only dabbled a few times for my personal stuff and admire the quality and complexity of that work.  Very well done.  Would it be OK to PM or email you some questions about technique?
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey Leon just out of curiosity what do you do for a living?
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Jan - Graphite Black
Feb - Burnt Bronze
etc...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jan - Graphite Black
Feb - Burnt Bronze
etc...

That is a terrible business plan the logistics of dealing with that many individuals takes to much time you would lose money. Not to mention why would you market to the person that is looking for the cheapest possible price did you take the same approach when you purchased you firearm?

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#50]
I always look for the cheapest price when I am looking for a firearm.  It is not really the same for a service.  You might want to come up with another analogy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top