Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2015 8:40:42 AM EDT
I cannot find access to a sand blaster. Can I sand with sand paper before cerakoting? If so what grit sandpaper to use? I know this is not optimal but will it work?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#2]
go with Duracoat if you can only hand sand..
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
go with Duracoat if you can only hand sand..
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you checked with any auto parts stores in your area. we have 3 in my town and 1 has a sand blast cabinet. Not sure what media is in it but if you supplied the media I'm sure you could use it. I bought a 25lb bag of Aluminum Oxide of Ebay for 35$ and has worked for my cerakote projects.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have you checked with any auto parts stores in your area. we have 3 in my town and 1 has a sand blast cabinet. Not sure what media is in it but if you supplied the media I'm sure you could use it. I bought a 25lb bag of Aluminum Oxide of Ebay for 35$ and has worked for my cerakote projects.
View Quote

this.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#6]
You could build a cheap portable blasting cabinet yourself. Check on youtube.com , there's several videos on making one out of those large plastic storage bins. This is my plan when I get around to my 80%  projects and go to put my finishes on. I have limited workspace issues though. For the price of a cheap sandblast cabinet from say harbor freight, you could build your own portable one and buy a compressor, media gun, hose, and attachments for the cost of the traditional cabinet alone.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You could build a cheap portable blasting cabinet yourself. Check on youtube.com , there's several videos on making one out of those large plastic storage bins. This is my plan when I get around to my 80%  projects and go to put my finishes on. I have limited workspace issues though. For the price of a cheap sandblast cabinet from say harbor freight, you could build your own portable one and buy a compressor, media gun, hose, and attachments for the cost of the traditional cabinet alone.
View Quote

It's not the cabinet that is generally an issue, but the compressor to run it.  It takes a pretty stout compressor to even start to run a cabinet.  I would also check on your local firearm forums to see if anyone can help you out.  I have done so for several Oklahoma members and will do it again in the future.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#8]

What are you painting?

I've used Cerakote without sandblasting. Its holds well, as long as you do a good job on prep (sans sandblasting). If I were doing it as a business, I would sandblast it. But for personal use, I just make sure it's very clean and coat it.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:28:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What are you painting?

I've used Cerakote without sandblasting. Its holds well, as long as you do a good job on prep (sans sandblasting). If I were doing it as a business, I would sandblast it. But for personal use, I just make sure it's very clean and coat it.

View Quote

What sanding grit/ prep did you do?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got some of the ambient cure cerakote and I'm gonna coat the rail, scope mount, and scope without blasting. YO-fucking-LO.

Did I mention I've never painted anything in my life? Well...there's a first time for everything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top