Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2015 5:27:17 PM EDT
I am wrapping up my mirror pollish job on my sp101 snub. I went a little crazy with the mothers at the end and I'm certain I managed to get some in the internals of the trigger and the firing pin hole and other small places. How can I remove this stuff? The gun is mostly broken down, but there are still some places I can't really scrub. Should I soak it in hoppes? A different solvent? What is safe to use on stainless but will still break down the mothers mag and aluminum Pollish?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Soak it in gas then go fire it
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Is this a legitimate response? Sorry, I just can't tell if you're being facetious. No offense intended.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Is this a legitimate response? Sorry, I just can't tell if you're being facetious. No offense intended.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, uh....  Don't do that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Whether or not you use a solvent to help remove the polish residue that has crept into the innards of the revolver, you will never be certain that you have removed all of it.  Perhaps a chunk will be jarred loose at the wrong moment and gum up your revolver, perhaps at a bad moment, with possibly very bad results.

In addition, soaking the revolver in solvents will also remove any lubrication present, with long-term negative consequences.

I suggest buying the appropriate shop manual by Kuhnhausen, dismantling, the pistol, and giving it a thorough cleaning and lubing.  The manual will show you how to do it, step-by-step.  naturally, any internal mods should be considered, and purchased after reading the manual, and before dismantling.  Kuhnhausen is very detailed, and the best at what he does.

Anything else is, well, bogus.
View Quote

I see the manuals are on amazon. Is there a pdf version available for purchase?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Better lawyer up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 5:13:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whether or not you use a solvent to help remove the polish residue that has crept into the innards of the revolver, you will never be certain that you have removed all of it.  Perhaps a chunk will be jarred loose at the wrong moment and gum up your revolver, perhaps at a bad moment, with possibly very bad results.

In addition, soaking the revolver in solvents will also remove any lubrication present, with long-term negative consequences.

I suggest buying the appropriate shop manual by Kuhnhausen, dismantling, the pistol, and giving it a thorough cleaning and lubing.  The manual will show you how to do it, step-by-step.  naturally, any internal mods should be considered, and purchased after reading the manual, and before dismantling.  Kuhnhausen is very detailed, and the best at what he does.

Anything else is, well, bogus.

I would bet you could find a YouTube video that covers full detail strip.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 5:30:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree that anything that would soak the polish out of the guts would also take any lube out and isn't a good thing to do.

It has been years since I have stripped a SP101 but I did it with no prior knowledge and some printed directions . The Rugers are pretty simple
and don't require any special tools.

I would recommend you stay away from the sear surfaces but this would be a good time to polish up any other surfaces that look like they touch or rub. Might as well get a spring kit while you have things apart .Aftermarket spring kits will improve the Trigger but may cause light hits or miss fires so do some test firing after the work and don't misplace the factory springs
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Soak it in solvent and blow it out with compressed air, or use carb cleaner. Then relube.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I got it stripped pretty far down, but the firing pin requires a special tool . The rest of the gun comes apart easily.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think that as far as the firing pin goes, flooding it with solvent, and giving it plenty of time--and in the right orientation--to drain, and then flooding it with the appropriate liquid lube, will be OK.  Allow the liquid lube time to drain, of course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got it stripped pretty far down, but the firing pin requires a special tool . The rest of the gun comes apart easily.

I think that as far as the firing pin goes, flooding it with solvent, and giving it plenty of time--and in the right orientation--to drain, and then flooding it with the appropriate liquid lube, will be OK.  Allow the liquid lube time to drain, of course.

Yeah that sounds like a good plan. I'm tempted to get in the firing pin area with a hoppes loaded syringe and blast it with some pressure to get whatever is left out after soaking. Is there a better solvent to be using than hoppes 9? Someone mentioned carb cleaner above.

I'm assuming I'll want something more longterm than Breakfree CLP for the trigger and firing pin areas. What's a good liquid lube for this purpose?
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#14]
You tube will probably have a video on it.

Txl
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#16]
You're awesome RAF. I'll do my research and I won't be doing any trigger jobs. I view this gun as more of a belly gun so Im not going to obsess about the trigger pull. I'm busy for the next few weeks but when I finish I'll post up some pics of the polish job. Thanks for your help!!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dry compressed air to blow out excess lube
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Mothers is a polishing wax, it melts easily.  Pour boiling water over the parts; scrub them with a toothbrush where you can, then run them through the dishwasher.  Lubricate thoroughly during reassembly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top