Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2015 8:32:43 PM EDT
I cerakoted 2 rifles in magpul FDE.  They came out really nice.  Very happy with them.
But the third one came out a lot darker.  It is a new bottle.  I followed the same process each time.
Has anyone encountered this?  
I guess I will blast it all off and try it again.
thanks
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#1]
My Cerakote applicator told me that the baking temperature, duration, and different bottle can cause different tone, color, and so on.
I guess you can use the one from the same bottle and bake them in a same oven for the same amount of time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I got the thinking about it now.  My son turned on the oven and can remember if it was on 250 or 300.  So maybe I cooked the parts to hot and that turned them darker.

my bad
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I redid everything.  It came out pretty nice this time.
I used a different bottle of cerakote but I am thinking my mistake was the tempura.
I did notice however that some of the cerakote sandblasted off very easily.   I wonder it still cures oafter removing form the oven.
Anyway thanks again
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Cerakote tans are really really really sensitive to curing temps.

So much so, I turn the oven down for them now and run them longer.

ETA: Cerakote does post cure, for about a week or two.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top