Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2015 12:36:44 AM EDT
Has anybody used Duracoat in an aerosol can?  I just found this on EBay and it looks interesting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DuraCoat-Firearm-Finish-125-Daniel-Defense-FDE-/251524248064?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a90037200

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:45:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I have used the shake and spray twice on 2 1911's . I have powder coat experience and years of painting. The duracoat pools and drips like no other, and builds up very quickly. Pin holes and any parts with small clearance need scraping and bleh bleh . If I had it to do over again I would have bought the raw epoxy instead of the spray kit and used my airbrush.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#2]
The Duracoat Aerosol ("can-in-a-can" technology) is very different, and vastly superior to their old 'shake and spray' kits. Here is a detailed review I posted of the Duracoat Aerosol about a year ago. In summary, I've had excellent results with this product. Just be sure to prep well, and it will turn out great.

Here's my detailed review: Duracoat Aerosol review

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:12:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I prepped with soda blast and preheated to out gas any gunk same as a powder job. Just wasn't impressed with duracoat. Hopefully this new mix is better than the s&s just like you said.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:55:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got through doing two Colt SP1's with Colt grey and flat black. Worked well, there will will be some runs. You can give it a wipe and recoat or let it dry overnight. sand the spot and recoat. The stuff lasts in the can long enough to recoat next day.
They sell a degreaser, but non chlorinated Brakleen works too. Be sure to hit areas like the ejection port door latch with a Heat gun or blow dryer to get all the oil and degreaser out of there. It will mess up the paint job.
I would also buy direct from the manufacturer Lauer Custom as they offer this spay in alot more colors to choose from.
I reassembled two weeks after coating and it gets full hardness in 4 to 6 weeks. Seemed fine after two weeks.
So bottom line is this stuff is pretty easy to work with and fine for the rifles I did with it. But if I was doing a handgun that would be in and out of a holster alot, I would probably send it to a Cerakote applicator .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top