Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2015 7:37:22 PM EDT
So I have a barrel that was re-profiled. Heavy to pencil. I did a cheap re-bluing in a bottle.

I took the upper apart to swap hand guards and noticed the cheap bluing is not holding up too well.

Is there any problem in ceramic painting the barrel. I have some super high heat paints, like engine enamel and header paint for cars.

I have read that the ceramic paint might keep heat in, but is it really an issue on a semi auto gun that gets shot a lot but not sure how much heat I would be building up.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Just get some RustOleum dark gray auto primer
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 16" and a 870 barrel painted with Rustoleum camo paint and has held up great for years now
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#3]
And what did that cost you $20?
Why would anyone pay more for a paint and then more to have it removed is beyond me.

And then repeat the above.  I don't get it
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:12:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would anyone pay more for a paint and then more to have it removed is beyond me.

View Quote

What exactly is your question?

I had a barrel and got it re-profiled, I happen to live locally to ar15barrels.com and he does fantastic work. So it was cheaper for me to get a barrel down the exact way I wanted in front of my eyes.

After, the barrel is bare steel. I got some $7 bluing stuff at the local gun shop. But it is not holding up very well as there is surface rust developing in some spots.

So I asked about High temp spray paint
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:52:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh, I paid somewhere around $200 for a Patriot Brown job on an AR receiver set and barrel last year. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Then I moved to a green state and the brown just stopped appealing.

Now I'm going to pay more to have it blasted back to bare metal, but I can't seem to find a vendor willing to blast it and return it to me (as I plan on doing my own refinish using Norrell's)

It's only money, you can't take it with you.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Still don't get it.

I don't throw money around like the city hall
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top