Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2015 7:48:35 PM EDT
Building a .308 in a bell and carlson stock and im planning on painting this weekend. Just wondering which solvent will work safely on the b&c stock. Ive read alot of people using acetone and non chlorinated brake cleaner but am very hesitant to put them on a brand new 300 stock. Also heard rubbing alcohol, powder blast, synthetic safe gun scrubber, and good ol dish soap and water. I Plan on using a scotch brite pad but am unsure of the best solvent yo use. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Any of those really, just depends on what you are comfortable with. I typically use non-chlorinated brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol depending on the size of job I am doing.

I have used it for years with different paint applications from automotive enamels, Cerakote, Dura coat, and the occasional rattle can job. They will all get the job done and will not typically harm the surface you are prepping to paint.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used all of the above. I've also left a sopmod stock in acetone over night to remove some spray paint without any damage. My personal suggestions would be hot water and dawn. Then dry with compressed air or hair dryer. If you want to be extra thorough you could follow up with a quick wipe down with acetone or quick rinse with non chlorinated brake cleaner. You could always test this first on a small internal part of the stock.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used all of the above as well.

The last one I did nothing and it looks and wears about the same as the others
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:53:11 AM EDT
[#4]
3812S Fast Enamel Reducer
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#5]
denatured alcohol
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Most automotive paint companies make a final wipedown cleaner /degreaser

that is naptha based.

Cannot remember any of the names right now, but they are gentle, easy-to-use,

do not evaporate fast like acetone, do not dissolve paint or lacquer coatings,

and leave no residue. Easy on the hands too.

ETA -

Remembered it - Ditzler DX-330 - amazing stuff.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#7]
For stripping I like Kleen Strip (methylene chloride)

For cleaning and prep, acetone bath is king, followed by a quick oven bake to confirm the oil is gone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top