Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2015 12:30:52 PM EDT
Hello,

I bought a ACE Socom stock from another forum member and Im thinking about painting just like picture below.

What do you think? Paint the part or just leave it black?

Here are some pictures I found on the internet to show the black vs FDE

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Leave it alone.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure on Cerakote but spray paint won't hold up very good on the type of rubber that is used for must butt pads. I've tried it and the paint comes off a lot easier than when applied to metal or harder plastics like grips or VFG's.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure on Cerakote but spray paint won't hold up very good on the type of rubber that is used for must butt pads. I've tried it and the paint comes off a lot easier than when applied to metal or harder plastics like grips or VFG's.
View Quote

I was going to leave the rubber black just paint the metal part FDE. Sorry I should have specified
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hello,

I bought a ACE Socom stock from another forum member and Im thinking about painting just the buttpad part FDE to match the rest of my gun.

http://i58.tinypic.com/wclk4m.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/6401sj.jpg
View Quote

I'm actually wanting to do mine the way the top pic is done. It will splash the color around better than painting the foam or butt pad, and will make the rifle look much better.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm actually wanting to do mine the way the top pic is done. It will splash the color around better than painting the foam or butt pad, and will make the rifle look much better.

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy172/pavlovwolf/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/59EC6676-E04D-4940-B1A8-8EA9C5663BBC_zpssk4bwlsx.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello,

I bought a ACE Socom stock from another forum member and Im thinking about painting just the buttpad part FDE to match the rest of my gun.

http://i58.tinypic.com/wclk4m.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/6401sj.jpg

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy172/pavlovwolf/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/59EC6676-E04D-4940-B1A8-8EA9C5663BBC_zpssk4bwlsx.jpg

Where can I get one of those Sling gussets?

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, mine doesn't fold.

That part is a sling loop, but it's part of the stock. it's the end plate part that tightens up into the receiver.

You must have a piston gun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OK, mine doesn't fold.

That part is a sling loop, but it's part of the stock. it's the end plate part that tightens up into the receiver.

View Quote

no mine uses a buffer and spring. I was just wondering where you got the end plate gusset? I like the looks of that one vs the one mine has.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

no mine uses a buffer and spring. I was just wondering where you got the end plate gusset? I like the looks of that one vs the one mine has.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, mine doesn't fold.

Both of mine came with it. It's what bolts it to the receiver.

I didn't know there was another kind. lol
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone used plasti dip on their stock? I was thinking about giving it a try but I guess it wouldnt hold up right?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, mine doesn't fold.

Your stock is the old design..you can buy the new gusset from Ace.

Op paint the thing FDE and reinstall the foam and buttpad!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, mine doesn't fold.

I went online to their store but cannot find the item.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, mine doesn't fold.

Gusset
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Gusset
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, mine doesn't fold.

Gusset

That part doesn't have the sling loop.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Gusset

And its for the ULT which wouldnt work on the Socom.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Gusset

View Quote

If I knew yours would work with mine for sure I'd just swap you. I don't use that loop on either of mine. I use the top sling slot. Works better for patrol carry that way. I just don't know if yours will work since yours folds. I can call the company Monday if you want me to and ask.

If that's the case, just ship me yours, and I will install it and ship you mine asap.

Where are you in NC ? I'm south of Lancaster SC by 22 miles, Charlotte and Pineville are about 40 miles from me.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If I knew yours would work with mine for sure I'd just swap you. I don't use that loop on either of mine. I use the top sling slot. Works better for patrol carry that way. I just don't know if yours will work since yours folds. I can call the company Monday if you want me to and ask.

If that's the case, just ship me yours, and I will install it and ship you mine asap.

Where are you in NC ? I'm south of Lancaster SC by 22 miles, Charlotte and Pineville are about 40 miles from me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gusset

I was mainly looking to just find out where to buy. It would work with your gun, Mine folds because I bought the Law Tactical Gen 3 folder.

Im located in Surf City Nc
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I was mainly looking to just find out where to buy. It would work with your gun, Mine folds because I bought the Law Tactical Gen 3 folder.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gusset

Oh I had forgotten about those. I really, really like it though.

Let me ask you. Does it change which buffer weight you use or anything of that nature, or which spring strength you should use. In other words, if you use an H2 buffer, would that still be effective or would the weight need to less since there is a piece in between the bolt carrier and the buffer now. Same applies to the spring. I use a Tubbs extra power, or a Sprinco one on my 6.8. My thinking is it might since there is more weight now with that added piece.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I did a quick rattle can paint job. Still needs to dry and then steel wool.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Natives are getting restless. Pics man.

ETA

I posted before I saw you pics.

That looks great.

Do you know if the color you used will match Larue FDE ? Mine has a Larue grip and hand guard clips. The Larue sling is a different color, but that does look close.

If it does, please let me know what color you used.

If you don't have any Larue stuff, I may have a Larue clip I can mail you and you can look at it and tell me. If I have an extra you won't need to mail it back. I'll have to look.

If I don't, I might mail you one anyway if you can mail it back sometime. Or well, even if not, one isn't gonna kill me if I take it from somewhere under my light.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Natives are getting restless. Pics man.

ETA

I posted before I saw you pics.

That looks great.

Do you know if the color you used will match Larue FDE ? Mine has a Larue grip and hand guard clips. The Larue sling is a different color, but that does look close.

If it does, please let me know what color you used.

If you don't have any Larue stuff, I may have a Larue clip I can mail you and you can look at it and tell me. If I have an extra you won't need to mail it back. I'll have to look.

If I don't, I might mail you one anyway if you can mail it back sometime. Or well, even if not, one isn't gonna kill me if I take it from somewhere under my light.
View Quote

Speaking of Larue I just got a set of those index clips today.

I used a mixture of 2 spray paints, Redid it last night for the final coat so its drying. Ill post up some 100% finished pics later this week.

Ill compair the Larue FDE to the Troy FDE to the Magpul FDE to the UTG FDE to the fbmbirds FDE
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Just tell me which paint to buy if it works. lol

Or which paints.

I don't have the big sexy on the end of my barrel, just an A2 for now, so I won't paint that. I think the index clips may help to balance that color out though. I plan on getting one of Harrison's new ARP muzzle brakes when they come out. It's sort of bulbous shaped, with ports, and looks really good. I know it'll work good.It would look cool painted.

Just been tested, and he's making a couple of changes, but I like it.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Here is a quick pic I just took.

Stock still needs sanded down with really fine sandpaper.

The stock is my own custom color

the troy part in the middle is their FDE

the Mag is Magpuls FDE

And those Index clips are Larues
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#23]
It's still close enough that the shadows cast from different things will even it out to look mostly one color.

It also seems from the photo to match the Larue more than the other parts.

that is exactly what I'm looking to do.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:44:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Still have one more coat and that will be it. The final coat should turn out a little more FDE hopefully. I got the method down now.

I decided to say fuck it and run with it as is.

Here it is on the gun. Not perfect but for a 3 dollar can of paint Its not bad.

I also used flash when taking to photo because I believe flash shows true colors discoloration better.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top