Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2015 11:26:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#1]
that is very interesting.  I am wondering how this is different than the Duracoat aerosol version.  Is it that the colors match more like gun blue?  The Durocoat comes in over a 100 colors.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered a can so we will see.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I am also interested in real world results.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I was just in Lauer Weaponry doing a transfer tonight and saw an 870 and a 1911 they had done with this.  I cannot believe it's a coating, the depth of the blue and polished look reminds me of the old blue S&W revolvers.  If it wears well I can see them making a killing on this stuff.  Really I cannot state how deep the blue was on that 870, and they said it was not taken down to bare steel before coating.  

Steve Lauer told me the 1911 was bead blasted with coarse material, sprayed, and assembled all in the course of a half hour.  If tests show it wears well this could be the first Duracoat product I use.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:13:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I had only a few seconds to snap some pics today but I am very impressed with this finish. I will post more when I get it put back together. I used the blue/black aerosol.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I will also add that your gun can have absolutely ZERO rust when using this. I noticed one small spot I missed while spraying the gun and the durablue will not cover it. I was already a few coats in when I noticed it but since it was under the hand guard I just let it be.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you get a closer natural lighted pic? Under the light in the pic the finish has a milky greyish haze to it. Or is that how it looks in person?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for posting this OP, this looks like exactly what I'm looking for for my hunting guns.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#10]
The crappy cell pics and poor lighting cause the finish to look milky but in person it looks pretty good. If you buy this expecting an exact match to rust bluing you will be disappointed but it is the closest match that will ever come out of a spray can. This was my first time using this product and the biggest mistake I made was poor metal prep. This stuff will appear to cover light rust but after curing it will show and cause the area around it to bubble up. So spend the extra time making sure all rust and residue is gone. The last coat is pretty difficult since it needs to be sprayed on very thick to produce a gloss finish, this is hard to do without getting any runs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#11]
so what was your prep process and what would you do different?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

so what was your prep process and what would you do different?
View Quote
I followed the directions in their youtube video. Next time i will check and double check for surface rust. The slightest bit left on the metal will show through, no matter how hard you try it will cover. By the time i noticed this mistake it was to late.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Questions:
Can I parkerize under this like regular duracoat?
What grit of blast media is best for the metal prep?
Does baking after spraying help cure it?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#14]
1.sure
2. 120
3. no
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:44:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will also add that your gun can have absolutely ZERO rust when using this. I noticed one small spot I missed while spraying the gun and the durablue will not cover it. I was already a few coats in when I noticed it but since it was under the hand guard I just let it be.  
View Quote

When you say rust, that would include bluing, right?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:09:01 AM EDT
[#16]
no, bluing is fine.  It was for me anyways
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top