Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2015 11:54:46 PM EDT
I'm taking delivery of a Rhineland leopard for my 700 tomorrow and I still haven't decided on the finish.  This is the unfinished walnut stock:

Part of me says just go black and be done with it

What would you do with the raw walnut?  Paint or stain?  What I do want to avoid is a week long staining/sanding process which is part of the reason why the thought of punting to paint comes into play.  

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:28:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Why have wood if you're just going to paint it???

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why have wood if you're just going to paint it???

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:47:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, you want to go tacticool and all, but as mentioned it's wood, so I'd just stain it and seal it.

If your looking for an outlet to your painting urges you could try a stippling, checkering, or woodburning (pyrography) adventure. It could be epic whether it turned out good or bad.

Woodburn a dragon entwined all along the stock....or ponies all over shooting rainbows out of their.....jk. Well half kidding about the ponies. A dragon would be epic.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Linseed or Tongue Oil, multiple coats until it won't absorb any more, then wet sand to smoothness of your liking. If you are going to paint it why not just get a synthetic stock and ditch the wood all together?    

NCH
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Stripe it with a torch and stain

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#6]
With wood I would go with clear or a nice semi dark stain.  Don't paint the wood black.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#7]
If it was up to me, I would not stain it, but I would apply real tung oil.  When I say the real stuff, I don't mean the stuff from Lowes or Home Depot.  It takes a long time to do right, but you can't beat the looks.  Multiple coats, then buff out with 0000 steel wool, finish with a coat of wax.  It will last a lifetime if cared for.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stripe it with a torch and stain

http://i54.tinypic.com/122ya2g.jpg
View Quote

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top