Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2014 12:09:53 AM EDT
So this is my first post on any forum ever. I'v used AR15.com for tones of info in the past but i finally had questions that i couldn't find an answer to. Why is the cerakote clumping up and clogging up my HPLV gun. I have the Iwata hplv80. Any suggestions as to not have this happen. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:18:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never had an issue with clumping in any of my Cerakote.  Is there a chance that it has gone bad?  How long have to had it?  How was it stored?  Where did you get it from?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Its new stuff from NIC industry. keep it in the garage in a tool box. should I store it in the house?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:00:25 AM EDT
[#3]
My experience with Cerakote is make sure your paint to hardener ratio is correct as well as to shake the paint for several minutes and run it through a strainer before putting it into the paint gun.  Is it possible your gun may have residue from a previous project?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its new stuff from NIC industry. keep it in the garage in a tool box. should I store it in the house?
View Quote

I wouldn't keep it in areas where it may get super hot/cold, but I doubt that's the issue if it's new.  Like the other poster stated, what is your ratio of hardener/Cerakote?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes you get a bad batch - my first bottle was Desert Sage and caused a ton of problems with clumping, I thought it was the most difficult thing on earth to mess with - then ordered other colors and had no issues, it became a regular shop service. Went back to that Desert Sage bottle to see what was up when another of the same color came and it was just, well, bad. Clumpy and nasty. "Tester" size.

Never had another issue.

So maybe try another batch.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#6]
i'm still having the same issues but I appreciate all the advice. I'll let you know what I figure out.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i'm still having the same issues but I appreciate all the advice. I'll let you know what I figure out.
View Quote

What size tip are you using?  I've only used Cerakote in black, burnt bronze, stainless, sniper grey, and FDE.  I've read somewhere that certain colors can be tricky but not sure what colors the post was referring to.  I've used a cheapie Harbor Freight HVLP  gun such as these two and haven't had any issues as long as the PSI is correct on the compressor, a moisture filter used, and setting correct.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hvlp-detail-spray-gun-46719.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 4:41:01 AM EDT
[#8]
So I just had this happen tonight using Magpul FDE and Magpul OD Green.  As I was getting to the end of the first job I noticed no material coming from the sprayer.  I turned up the material volume on the gun and it was spotty, but I was able to finish the job.  When I cleaned the gun, there was a bunch of "mud" in the bottom and the gun was pretty clogged.  

I tore the gun down completely, cleaned it, and did the next color with the same result at the end (although not quite a s bad).  I've used both of these bottles before with no issues.  It was out in the cold a few nights when the season first changed, but has been in the house since.  It didn't get cold enough to freeze those first few weeks & my garage always stays about 10deg warmer than outside.

I wondered if I had the material flow too low early on and caused it to start backing up & just kept collecting as I sprayed?  Maybe too much trigger action on the gun vs long sprays/strokes?  Crappy gun? (I'm using the one that came in their kit).  I've got about 20 bottles of coating and haven't had this happen before with any other color/job.

Any thoughts??
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#9]
If its too cold where you are spraying you will have issues........I find 60 degree min is where I like to be at when spraying.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If its too cold where you are spraying you will have issues........I find 60 degree min is where I like to be at when spraying.
View Quote

Thanks.  That's probably the issue right there.  I'm working in a garage I've turned into a shop and even though I've got a heater, I turn it off when I spray to avoid any combustion issues.  The temp was probably around 60 most of the time, but fluctuated below that and there was still a cold draft.  I'm sure the aluminum cup on my sprayer didn't help keep it warm either.

I don't know how much ceramic is in an ounce of Cerakote, but judging by how much I had in my cup after I was done, I'm guessing not much hit my work.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Are you using a heater in your shop?

I haven't found temperature to have an adverse effect on my material. I have sprayed around 40 degrees before without issue.
I did run into this problem last week though and the problem was related to the heating source in the shop.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are you using a heater in your shop?

I haven't found temperature to have an adverse effect on my material. I have sprayed around 40 degrees before without issue.
I did run into this problem last week though and the problem was related to the heating source in the shop.
View Quote

My shop stays at 40 degrees, unless the temp outside is higher, and I store my Cerakote in a refrigerator.

The only time I've had clumps is when the cerakote was old.  At least 18 months. I've also started rotating my bottles every few days or a week. The colors that don't get used much get turned on their lids for a week and shaken up some. It's helped me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:58:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Strange.  None of my coating is over 6-8 months old and I've used both colors in the last two months with no issues.  My heater is a kerosene unit, so I heat the shop up and when it's time to spray, I kick the heater off to avoid any open flame, kick on the fan in my spray booth and spray.  As the fan runs it cools back down, but I can usually run for 20 minutes before it gets cold again.  Once I'm done spraying, the fan goes off and parts go into the oven & the heater comes back out again.  I know that's a bit redneck, but it's my only option at the moment.

I did do a spray a month ago on a pretty cold night when I didn't have the heater and it went perfect, so I was t considering cold a factor.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:29:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Cold might not be the factor....all I am saying is that I have had better luck with coating when the temperature is at or above 60......
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Strange.  None of my coating is over 6-8 months old and I've used both colors in the last two months with no issues.  My heater is a kerosene unit, so I heat the shop up and when it's time to spray, I kick the heater off to avoid any open flame, kick on the fan in my spray booth and spray.  As the fan runs it cools back down, but I can usually run for 20 minutes before it gets cold again.  Once I'm done spraying, the fan goes off and parts go into the oven & the heater comes back out again.  I know that's a bit redneck, but it's my only option at the moment.

I did do a spray a month ago on a pretty cold night when I didn't have the heater and it went perfect, so I was t considering cold a factor.
View Quote

This could be the problem.
During this last cold snap, the normal heat in the shop has trouble keeping up, so I used a torpedo heater with diesel fuel. I have run it before with zero problems. However, when it got so cold, it was running a pretty good duty cycle. After a while I had the Cerakote in the cup turning to a snot like sludge. At first I thought it was a bad batch, which I have never actually encountered before, so I was hesitant to even believe it exists.

But it kept happening with every color and bottles I knew were still good or had not been opened yet.

After sleeping on it, I decided figured it could be the heater fumes. So I dialed it back the next day and the problems went away.

Now the fumes were never bad enough to bother me, I have a pretty large open area with high ceilings. But I can only assume they were enough to have an effect on the paint, because it was the only variable I changed and things went back to normal. Could be your problem too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I gave NIC a call and they thought it may be due to a couple of issues.  

First - he recommended storing and using the coating between 60 & 80 deg for optimal performance.  He said it is possible that air temp being too cold could have affected it.  
Second - he said if the hardener goes bad (due to excessive temperature) that it can cause the mix to take on a jellied consistency.  He said sometimes this can come on within a few minutes of mixing or up to 15 or 20 minutes after.
Third - he recommended keeping the work and coatings at room temp.  Having work too hot or cold or coating too hot or cold can cause some issues when the two are put together.  

Thinking about it, the air temp in my shop was probably around 60-65 deg when I started spraying, however the sprayer and cup could have been much colder.  At any rate, it sounds like temp could have definitely played a role.  I'm also going to try heating it differently to your point Hardeight.  I have a family room with a gas fireplace insert on the other side of the garage wall.  My wife wouldn't be too hip on me blowing a hole through the wall (which was my first thought) but I might be able to get away with putting a fan in the doorway and blowing hot air from the family room into the garage.  I've got another project on the weekend so I'll let you know how that one goes.

Thanks all!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top