Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2014 5:05:21 PM EDT
I'm currently getting parts together for my first build and my  question is does hydro dipping adhere well and does it affect how well the parts kits install?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Ask that question here: Refinishing Forum on AR15
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Think of it as a decal. It is a layer of material that is covering the part(s).
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Not very durable.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not very durable.
View Quote

This.... If you want something that will not scratch or wear quickly look into cerakote otherwise hydrodip is just a easy way to do patterns.  Personally I think Krylon is a better option than hydrodip as you can just hit the spots that get messed up with the can again.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a front fairing on my motorcycle hydro dipped and I'm very unhappy with the durability.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking not very durable, just wanted some opinions.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking not very durable, just wanted some opinions.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep posting this every time this comes up, but hydrodipping is a process not a coating.

It's as durable as it want's to be. As durable as Cerakote if you use it for base and clear.
Also, as durable as rattle can if you use that.

Asking this question is like saying, "Hey my buddy want's to paint my car, how durable will it be?"

Depends on if he uses dollar store spray paint and a shade tree, or high solids urethane multi-step process in a down draft spay booth.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#9]
After hydrodipping, I put Cerekote clear over it.

It makes it much more durable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top