Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2014 5:32:15 PM EDT
I am looking to re-paint my 300 BLK SBR from Patriot Brown to a really dark grey. I have used Sig Dark Grey before but I think it is still too light of a shade for my tastes. Anyone here have a good recipe for a dark dark grey but not black? I am not asking for special editions from companies or trade secrets, just what you guys have found that works and looks good.

Much obliged.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Sniper Grey
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sniper Grey
View Quote

Anyone else? I'm thinking of mixing Graphite black with Sig Dark Grey.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#3]

How about tungsten is it still to light?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Tungsten and Graphite black mix that Dan_Grey did for me.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sniper Grey

Why the face?  I thought it pretty much matched what you want.  If not, I'll second Tungsten as another good choice
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:59:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Cobalt grey
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Sniper Grey is pretty light, much lighter than Sig Dark Grey.

There is a Stone Grey but I think it has some metallic in it. I actually think Sig Dark Grey has a microscopic amount of metallic in it too, but you have to get in certain light at certain angles to see it.
Cobalt is pretty much a black metallic. Cool color but I don't think it's what you are going for.

If you are wanting to stay away from that, my recommendation would be to start with Combat Grey and add armor black to it. Maybe start at 80:20 and increase the black from there to get to where you are headed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I have never sprayed Sig Dark Grey, but the Sniper Grey I've sprayed seems pretty dark to me.  Here is one I did a few years ago in Sniper Grey with black parts.  I would go with whatever HardEight recommends, he certainly has done more Cerakote than me.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I like Tungsten a lot.  Seems to be a good combo of all good things about grey and black etc.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:26:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There is a Stone Grey but I think it has some metallic in it. I actually think Sig Dark Grey has a microscopic amount of metallic in it too, but you have to get in certain light at certain angles to see it.
Cobalt is pretty much a black metallic. Cool color but I don't think it's what you are going for.

If you are wanting to stay away from that, my recommendation would be to start with Combat Grey and add armor black to it. Maybe start at 80:20 and increase the black from there to get to where you are headed.
View Quote

Do you have any pics of Cobalt? I think it might be what I'm after.

Eta: yes I have checked Cerakote's website but most of the pics aren't that good.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Eta: yes I have checked Cerakote's website but most of the pics aren't that good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have some in the shop. I will mix some up and spray on something and take a pic.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have some in the shop. I will mix some up and spray on something and take a pic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much obliged.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry for the delay, I was out of town last weekend with family.
Here it is on a lower.
The pigment is black, but there is so much metallic in it it gives it a grey look.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Use the darkest grey you can find then do a light mist coat of black over it maybe?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top