Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2014 7:34:12 PM EDT
Hey all.

I'm trying to find a place where I can get small quantities of Cerakote for some projects I have in mind. It seems like the smallest amount out there is 4 oz for about $40. I can't really afford to be spending $40 per color at the moment, so I'm trying to find smaller amounts.

Does anyone know where I can find an ounce or two of Safety Orange? I'd like to try other colors in the future, but this is the first one I need.

Thanks!
--James
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Just curious,  what do you want to do with safety orange?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Cerakote is pretty exclusive and does have a shelf life. I would just buy the bottles and be done with it. I wouldn't trust anything used or opened specially since I offer a guarantee and don't feel like redoing stuff because I got a "bunk" bottle of Cerakote.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm actually trying to coat my flashlight and the handles of my Leatherman. A friend of mine is willing to do the coating for me if I provide the color I want.

I didn't think about the shelf-life. If I can't buy small amounts, I wonder if I could have success in selling off what I don't need.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#4]
See.....this is why I didn't have any available when you emailed me.  I am in the business of coating peoples items not selling them the coating so they can have it done by a friend.  

I get all my product from the manufacture directly.  This way I know its dated correctly and had been stored correctly.  If I have any issues I know they will take care of it.

Cerakote is not cheap.  That is why every shop has a min.  It takes time, materials, etc to mix and spray even the small jobs.  They take into account the prep of the parts......smaller parts are actually more of a pain in the ass to blast and rack.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
See.....this is why I didn't have any available when you emailed me.  I am in the business of coating peoples items not selling them the coating so they can have it done by a friend.  

I get all my product from the manufacture directly.  This way I know its dated correctly and had been stored correctly.  If I have any issues I know they will take care of it.

Cerakote is not cheap.  That is why every shop has a min.  It takes time, materials, etc to mix and spray even the small jobs.  They take into account the prep of the parts......smaller parts are actually more of a pain in the ass to blast and rack.
View Quote

Yep.  Give me an 870 receiver over a few small parts any day.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#6]
In fairness, Jeff, I was looking into trying to do it myself at that point. It wasn't until afterwards that I learned my friend can do CeraKoting, not just powdercoating. Also, I didn't ask you to give me some for free, I ask if you had any you could sell me.

I do appreciate the input, though, and I still may end up using your services in the future. I wish it was less of a drive to you, though.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#7]
You have to look at it from a business owners perspective.
We have to pay taxes, fees, licensing, overhead  and shipping to get the Cerakote to us.

Typically, nothing leaves a profitable business's hands without a markup. Unless your cousin owns the company, this is the typical way things work in industry.  
So in order to Jeff to sell you something and still keep in business, it would probably cost you more than if you ordered 4 ounces straight from NIC.

At least that is the way it would work if I were to sell it to you. I am not in the business of losing money to help other people with their DIY projects. And most other professional companies are the same.

Nothing against you trying to do your own project, just don't expect a legit coater to go in the red to help you with it. Hope this makes sense.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You have to look at it from a business owners perspective.
We have to pay taxes, fees, licensing, overhead  and shipping to get the Cerakote to us.

Typically, nothing leaves a profitable business's hands without a markup. Unless your cousin owns the company, this is the typical way things work in industry.  
So in order to Jeff to sell you something and still keep in business, it would probably cost you more than if you ordered 4 ounces straight from NIC.

At least that is the way it would work if I were to sell it to you. I am not in the business of losing money to help other people with their DIY projects. And most other professional companies are the same.

Nothing against you trying to do your own project, just don't expect a legit coater to go in the red to help you with it. Hope this makes sense.
View Quote

Oh, I totally understand that, and I'm not saying anything against prices. The thing is, he didn't give me any price, he simply let me know that he doesn't sell it. I'm checking to see if someone is selling or would be willing to sell these small amounts. I'm not saying, "Hey Jeff, give me an ounce of Cerakote for $5 or you're being unfair." I just wanted to check availability and price to see if I can afford to go ahead with my little idea. If someone replied saying yes, but it's going to cost $30 an ounce, I'd understand.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#9]
My shop min is 30.00 plus return shipping.  That is pretty low for a professional Cerakote shop.  I can't be in the business of selling product.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My shop min is 30.00 plus return shipping.  That is pretty low for a professional Cerakote shop.  I can't be in the business of selling product.
View Quote

You have lost your damn mind.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:28:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I just did an AR in two color camo and now I fully have respect for what professional Cerakoters are charging! Soak, bake, oil leech, soak, bake, blast, rack, spray, bake, clean.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#12]
LOL....I know it Dan!  I do it for the folks that have small jobs like a flashlight or scope mounts.....
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just did an AR in two color camo and now I fully have respect for what professional Cerakoters are charging! Soak, bake, oil leech, soak, bake, blast, rack, spray, bake, clean.
View Quote

And most of us have pretty pricey stuff. My oven is almost 7 feet tall.  My spray rig was several hundred bucks and I can go through over in 18 months.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep....I have three blast cabinets all with reclaim units, two custom ovens, two compressors with a air dryer and fast air system....on and on and on......Professionals use professional equipment and its not cheap.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top