Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2014 1:35:36 PM EDT
So I wanted to learn how to refinish using Cerakote. I had this 1911 laying around and decided why not? Big thanks to my buddy who really helped me out on this without him i would have been lost. This was my first time ever using an air powered spray gun.

Step 1 - Strip the gun and sand blast the original finish.
Step 2 - Clean off the gun using brake cleaner and then Acetone wearing latex gloves
Step 3 - Prep slide by using high temp tape on the rails.
Step 4 - Spray Cerakote on the parts and then hang to cure in the oven for 1 hour at 250 degrees.

I need to redo it again since some spots are lighter and darker. Total time I would estimate to be 3.5 hours.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks good man. Now you know the process redoing it shouldn't be that difficult!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#2]
that looks really good
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks pretty good.  Does the cerakote fill minor scratches or flaws in the metal?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks pretty good.  Does the cerakote fill minor scratches or flaws in the metal?
View Quote

This is the same question I have.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Cerakote is so thin that I can usually see imperfections even more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top