Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2014 9:53:44 PM EDT
I recently picked up an old A1 upper.  It's in pretty good shape, but has a sufficient number of scrapes and dings.  I would like to sand some of these areas down and smooth them out.  I will then apply a coating of Moly Resin to the upper.  My question: how "deep" is the anodizing?  I don't want to sand through it, though I don't know what effect that would really have with it be coating in Moly Resin after the fact.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Anodizing is typically less than .002" deep, often less. It isn't hard at all to sand thru an anodize coating, even with fine sandpaper.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 3:24:26 AM EDT
[#2]
You will most likely loose the anodizing where you sand. As FB41 says... it isn't very thick.

Wash with dish soap and rinse well, dry and soak in acetone for a couple hours before spraying your finish. II am not familiar with Moly resin, I've only done Gunkote. I suspect the prep is the same.

I media blasted most of the anodizing off 2 lowers I had already anodized and didn't bother to reanodize.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the feedback.  I might just clean it, coat it, and see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:28:55 AM EDT
[#4]
If you just have some marks in the anodizing, you can also touch up with some aluma black instead of painting the whole thing. Not trying to discourage you, just another option to consider.

After machining, anodizing 3 80% lowers I thought Gunkote was going to be the easy part...just my luck it was the most work for me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:23:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you just have some marks in the anodizing, you can also touch up with some aluma black instead of painting the whole thing. Not trying to discourage you, just another option to consider.

After machining, anodizing 3 80% lowers I thought Gunkote was going to be the easy part...just my luck it was the most work for me.
View Quote

I'm far from an expert, but the Moly Resin worked well for me in the process of building a 604 clone.  I wanted to match the upper and lower, in color,  and found the product to provide a close match to the original Colt Grey.  I used an old toaster oven, hair dryer, and a cheap airbrush setup from Amazon.  I'm pretty happy with the results. Thanks again for your feedback.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top