Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2014 12:38:25 AM EDT
Picked up an ATI 1911 Commander couple weeks back.  Noticed the edges of the thumb safety were pretty sharp and not blended as well as other 1911s costing much more than the pocket change that PSA was selling them for.  It actually had a bit of overhang past the edge of the beavertail.

Was able to put 140 rounds down the pipe before the skin on my thumb finally broke.  No bother, other than the discomfort from holding the pencil on the gash during the last 2 days of work.Spent an hour in the garage this afternoon with a dremel and some emery cloth.  

Still need just a little more finishing, but the shape is there and it feels good.  While still keeping with the theme of an inexpensive and entry level (for me) 1911, I would kind of like to try and get a decent match on refinishing the safety.  Was wondering if anybody had any recommendations or suggestions.  I've seen the Brownells Oxpho Blue and the Birchwood Casey Perma Blue.  The Oxpho Blue looks like it may be a close enough black.  Or should I just strip the rest of the safety and spray bomb it?  A black primer might just get the job done, LOL.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that a black park finish?  My RIA MS had a black park finish, and is the same sort of pistol.

If so, it is possible to parkerize small parts with a microwave oven.

Polish, degrease, and heat the small parts separately.  Microwave some of the park solution, and place in an insulated container.  A big Styrofoam cup works well.

I use a toaster oven to get the small parts hot.  ca 250 F, no need to get really hot.  Drop the parts in the container, and swirl.

Might not match the finish exactly, but it will be pretty close.

Park makes a good finish if you are going to paint it.  That is what I did to my MS.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  Their website says that it's a blued finish and after looking around at the Brownell's Oxpho blue some more, I may just paint it, or touch it up.  I'll double check my modeling supplies, but I may try one of the cottage hobby shops that specialize in figurines for some of the military shades of color.  I'll post the results when I get it figured out.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Oxpho is great stuff, but does not match Parkerizing, nor will the now-polished areas on the safety match the matte finish on the rest of the gun, regardless of whether you go with cold blue, hot blue or Parkerizing.
Painting is a much better choice.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#4]
good job but don't stop there. Hit all the sharp edges on the safety.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:22:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used krylon and cold blue. Both are satisfactory to me since I'm not dealing with heirloom pieces.

I used Oxpho Blue to touch up this Springfield I built up. Dehorned the edges, fitted the grip safety, blended the mag well.

I like how it turned out. Pretty much has a holster-worn look to it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks great!

I ordered some of the Oxpho Blue for some 1851 Navy stuff and decided to give it a go for the thumb safety.  Close enough for what I was wanting on a $300 range gun.  I appreciate the suggestions!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top