Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2014 11:14:19 AM EDT
I have been sitting on 6 cans of aervoe for about 3 months working up the courage to rattle can my SBR. I bought 3 colors to try a ACU or MARPAT style, so I went with foliage green, light coyote, and desert sand.

This morning, I woke up and said "F it, I'll use brake clean if I don't like it!" I took off all plastic and rubber parts, taped and plugged holes, and then hung up the semi-stripped rifle for degreasing. I just used non-chlorinated brake clean and a brush to clean off all oils and grease. I cleaned it 3 times to make sure it was really clean and worked from top to bottom.

So...here is the base paint (light coyote)

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

Got happy with my work, that I got crazy and painted my Specwar 762

</a>" />

As soon as this dries up, I'll update this thread with my next step of layering the other 2 colors. Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck!

I have discovered that the best way to overcome that urge not to spray paint on your rifle is to consume a small amount of alcohol.  I also believe that having some ethanol in the bloodstream not only helps the creative juices to flow, but it will keep the more harmful solvents used in this work out.  Now don't get carried away, as a little goes a long way.  

Painting rifles is fun, and is even more fun when combined with drinking a good IPA, which is also a fun activity.

Have fun painting your rifle.  If you don't like the results, Strip it off and have fun again.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good luck!

I have discovered that the best way to overcome that urge not to spray paint on your rifle is to consume a small amount of alcohol.  I also believe that having some ethanol in the bloodstream not only helps the creative juices to flow, but it will keep the more harmful solvents used in this work out.  Now don't get carried away, as a little goes a long way.  

Painting rifles is fun, and is even more fun when combined with drinking a good IPA, which is also a fun activity.

Have fun painting your rifle.  If you don't like the results, Strip it off and have fun again.
View Quote

Since I started this morning at 7am, it was coffee and baileys

I figured the whole "a little goes a long way" thing on first pass. On top of that, since I'll be using 3 colors, I'll get most of the missed spots. Now I feel like I am a certified cerakote applicator . I'm going to Harbor Freight right now to pick up a spray gun, blast cabinet, compressor, and then to Home Depot to build a makeshift paint booth.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Since I started this morning at 7am, it was coffee and baileys  
View Quote

You have added caffeine to the mix.  Good idea!

Soon, friends and family will be questioning your sanity, while you have fun painting your rifles.

Hint, it is also fun to paint shotguns!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Base is done. Tomorrow I'll finish with the other 2 colors.

" />
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#5]
It's done...not really excited on how it came out, but not bad for my first time doing this.

" />

" />

I have 2 more SBR's to putz around with and 1 can...
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#6]
That looks pretty damn good!

I've never gotten up the courage to paint any of mine. And since I've given up drinking chances are slim I ever will.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#7]
It looks real good.

Give it some time.  I always hate the way mine look when they are first painted, but once they get worn in a little I start liking em
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I used the stencil from Primary Arms...only used it once...it fell apart.  I think I'm going to pick up some vinyl painting sticker stencils to give it a more defined digital camo look.

Thanks guys for the compliments.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#9]
That looks great.  I like how it came out. Did you use a stencil ?

Edit: nm haha
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it looks just fine.

Hell, you should see mine!!  
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#11]
That looks fantastic.  I'm going to warn you about trying to make crisp lines, like digital camo, when using cheep rattle paints and sticker stencils.  It's hard to make it crisp and clean.  It gets layered and jagged a bit..  I would recommend full curing time between colors applications.  The stickers like to pop up a little after spraying causing some bleed and movement.  Wait till full cure then push the stickers back down.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That looks fantastic.  I'm going to warn you about trying to make crisp lines, like digital camo, when using cheep rattle paints and sticker stencils.  It's hard to make it crisp and clean.  It gets layered and jagged a bit..  I would recommend full curing time between colors applications.  The stickers like to pop up a little after spraying causing some bleed and movement.  Wait till full cure then push the stickers back down.
View Quote

Thanks! Great advice. I already got my second SBR done with the base color and waiting on the sticker stencil to arrive this Friday. I am going for more of a "concrete urban camo".
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Are you nuts? That looks great!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:21:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks bud, I was expecting the lines to be super sharp, but when I took it out and put it down, I almost lost the rifle! It turns heads at the range too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like UCP-Delta.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Looks like UCP-Delta.
View Quote

I was trying to figure out which pattern it looked like.... Not a popular pattern if I remember correctly. Some of my Army friends hated it while in Afghanistan, said they looked dirty all the time and only pattern worked better while in the rocks/stones.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#18]
i like it.  several of my guns are rattle canned.  then i graduated to duracoat.  i use it when i want to do something that will last.  but i really like the faded look of rattle jobs after some use.  do the other two sbr's now!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top