Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2014 3:31:23 AM EDT
Anyone have photos of AR15 paint jobs that have been removed and now black again?

JW as I might go back to black again for a lil bit.

thanks
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:30:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Before.
" />

After
" />

Before

" />

After.
" />
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:18:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks good.

What did you use?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I use Clean Strip or something similar. Parts will have a faded "dry" look when done. Rub in some CLP and you'll get the original color back.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#4]
When I sold my Mk12 upper (), I took my LMT lower that was spray painted and disassembled it to a stripped receiver.
I dunked everything into a small pan of acetone just enough to cover everything. I let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. After that, I took a regular AP brush (brush for cleaning guns and such) and brushed off the paint.
It came off very easy and had it back to looking new within 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:45:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used Citristrip before, it works ok just takes a while. Aircraft stripper works pretty well but is nasty stuff. I've used a commercial pressure washer before. Don't use that though i fucked up an upper. Paint thinner, Just about every kind of solvent possible. Just be sure to use a stiff brush to help it along but wear eye pro.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Acetone will remove it.  All metal will strip off clean, oil it and good as new.  Use a green scrub pad and a firm toothbrush.
Plastic will have some paint too deep in the pores for total removal, will need repaint.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#7]
TMW.  When the fashion changes.
Just paint over last seasons.  As it wears last years will add to the cammo. effect.  Then next season.  Do the same for the next Fad.

Use it all as primer, stripping paint off a firearm is a useless expense
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#8]
looks great
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:36:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

TMW.  When the fashion changes.

Just paint over last seasons.  As it wears last years will add to the cammo. effect.  Then next season.  Do the same for the next Fad.

Use it all as primer, stripping paint off a firearm is a useless expense
View Quote
haha good idea.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top