Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2014 11:16:13 PM EDT
I bought the kit from Brownells in magpul FDE.

I plan on doing a stripped upper, lower, and FF handguard.

Here are my questions:

1)  Do I install the upper receiver parts first before cerakoting?  The dust cover and forward assist?  Or do them seperate?

2)  Are there any places on the stripped upper or  stripped lower receiver that I need to mask off?

3)  Do I coat the insides of the upper and lower?

4)  Can I bake these in my old ladys oven without ruining the oven?  This is the most important question.    If I bake them in her oven and her cookies taste like cerakote, I will need to find a new place to live.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Here are my questions:

1)  Do I install the upper receiver parts first before cerakoting?  The dust cover and forward assist?  Or do them seperate?

2)  Are there any places on the stripped upper or  stripped lower receiver that I need to mask off?

4)  Can I bake these in my old ladys oven without ruining the oven?  This is the most important question.    If I bake them in her oven and her cookies taste like cerakote, I will need to find a new place to live.
View Quote

Take EVERYTHING apart. No two parts need to be together at all.  Soak in acetone for twenty minutes or so. Then, take that dust cover, bake it at 200 for about a half hour, then soak it again, then do both a few more times until no grease comes out.

Then blast everything with 100 or 120 grit aluminum oxide, then, just in case, after you clean it all with compressed air, bake everything for twenty minutes. If any trace of oil or grease shows up, start over.

The problem with baking in your wife's oven is that it will be damned hard to hang everything where it doesn't touch anything, and you won't be able to get any of it far enough away from the element to ensure it won't bubble. I've seen that happen before. Then your whole house will smell like cerakote. (aka, money).
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:37:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Take EVERYTHING apart. No two parts need to be together at all.  Soak in acetone for twenty minutes or so. Then, take that dust cover, bake it at 200 for about a half hour, then soak it again, then do both a few more times until no grease comes out.

Then blast everything with 100 or 120 grit aluminum oxide, then, just in case, after you clean it all with compressed air, bake everything for twenty minutes. If any trace of oil or grease shows up, start over.

The problem with baking in your wife's oven is that it will be damned hard to hang everything where it doesn't touch anything, and you won't be able to get any of it far enough away from the element to ensure it won't bubble. I've seen that happen before. Then your whole house will smell like cerakote. (aka, money).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here are my questions:

Good tips on the prep.  I've heard thats 90% of the battle.  I'll take care to do it right.

What about masking anything off once its stripped of parts?  Cerakote the barrel nut threads?

Do I spray the insides of the parts too?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:48:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Good tips on the prep.  I've heard thats 90% of the battle.  I'll take care to do it right.

What about masking anything off once its stripped of parts?  Cerakote the barrel nut threads?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here are my questions:

The threads will be ok, plug the holes in the lower and the take down and pivot lugs in the upper. I generally don't tape off the inside and just let over spray get in, but I usually go with what the customer wants.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here are my questions:

Good tips on the dust cover. The first soak / bake doesn't always get all the oil out of those things!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a theory that there is some type of indefinite supply of oil inside dust covers.

If we ever run low on fossil fuels, we can probably wrangle up all the old dust covers and figure out way to milk them of oil. Sure an endless supply.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a theory that there is some type of indefinite supply of oil inside dust covers.

If we ever run low on fossil fuels, we can probably wrangle up all the old dust covers and figure out way to milk them of oil. Sure an endless supply.
View Quote

Factory standard is 5.7 barrels of sweet crude. . .
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you all for helping me realize I will probably always need to send my stuff to somebody qualified.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top