Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2014 2:00:57 PM EDT
So I bought a Mega Monolithic V2 upper (not their newest V3 model)

And there is a slight ding on the anodizing down to the bare metal.  I know everyone likes to say throw it down the driveway, but this is for my sons 10th birthday .22 build and I would love for it to be totally mint.

How can I easily touch up the dark black anodizing like Mega uses?

Also, the upper needs to be cleaned, has some old grease in the barrel nut are, but it is a very hard area to get to because this is a monolithic upper.  Is there any safe de-greaser I could soak the entire upper in that won't damage the finish but will dissolve and remove whatever old grease is left over?

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#1]

and

OR

plus
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice so that Birchwood &  Casey aluminum black matches anodizing pretty good?  Anything better or that's as good as it gets?

What's the difference between the Kano &  Hopper?  Would I need both?  Are they both equally as safe to use on anodized aluminum?  I would specifically want their No. 9 solvent?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Aluminum Black is as good as it gets unless you re-anodize it or paint it. All my SBR engravings have been treated with Aluminum Black and you can't tell the difference.

Kroil or Hoppes won't hurt anything on your gun. I like Kroil better. They are both solvents, but Kroil does a better job at protecting steel, but not as great as CLP. Kroil also seems to clean barrels faster than Hoppes. I mentioned Hoppes because it is probably easier to get as most places that sells guns have Hoppes products.

Get some acetone or gun scrubber to clean up what you want touched up on the aluminum. This is very important for the aluminum black to work. It needs to be free of all contaminants
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aluminum Black is as good as it gets unless you re-anodize it or paint it. All my SBR engravings have been treated with Aluminum Black and you can't tell the difference.

Kroil or Hoppes won't hurt anything on your gun. I like Kroil better. They are both solvents, but Kroil does a better job at protecting steel, but not as great as CLP. Kroil also seems to clean barrels faster than Hoppes. I mentioned Hoppes because it is probably easier to get as most places that sells guns have Hoppes products.

Get some acetone or gun scrubber to clean up what you want touched up on the aluminum. This is very important for the aluminum black to work. It needs to be free of all contaminants
View Quote

Ok I called the LGS & they have pretty much everything you suggested, including the CLP - which they highly suggested over Hoppes and everything else also.

I will get the CLP & aluminum black.

I have Non-Chlorinated Brakleen, can I use that as the acetone/gun scrubber or do you suggest something else?

Or when you say acetone, do you just mean regular rubbing alcohol?  (if so I assume the highest purity is the best, I believe I have 91%)

The area in question for Aluminum black is larger than a pinhole, but smaller than a nail hole, but down to the bare metal.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Acetone is not the same thing as Alcohol.

It is similar to nail polish remover, but just run to the hardware store and buy a small bottle and get pure acetone.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:50:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I even use the Aluminum black on steel and it blackens up good. On Al it's the way to go. I have a bottle that must be 25yrs old and still going strong.
Acetone on a q-tip works great to degrease the spot (I've used Isopropyl alcohol as well)  and another q-tip for the Al Blk. Wash with water to stop the reaction, dry with a paper towel and oil. Repeat if necessary.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll get pure acetone tomorrow & use a q-tip.

Do I wash it with just plain water or soap & water?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:41:28 AM EDT
[#9]
After cleaning up stuff with acetone, use CLP. This will protect any steel parts from rusting if acetone got on it.

Acetone won't harm aluminum parts. If your using Aluminum Black to touch up the anodizing, don't put CLP on the area until after you touch it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top