Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2014 4:17:13 PM EDT
Anyone have any recommendations for touching up scratches in Parkerizing? I don't want to refinish the whole barrel. I'm not too concerned about a perfect match, I just want to cover some bare metal areas to prevent rust. It will end up under the rail so as long as it's dark that's good enough.

ETA: I used the term Parkerizing but I'm referring to the standard phosphate finish on AR barrels. Not trying to fix the old gray/green finish.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Where are the spots on the barrel, and do you have access to park solution?  If the spots are between the front sight block/gas block and the muzzle, you can mask off the muzzle and FSB/GB areas with duct tape and dip the front of the barrel in park solution to touch up the scratched areas.  

If you don't have access to park solution, you can use birchwood casey gun blue touch up pen to hit small scratches to at least take the shine off.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where are the spots on the barrel, and do you have access to park solution?  If the spots are between the front sight block/gas block and the muzzle, you can mask off the muzzle and FSB/GB areas with duct tape and dip the front of the barrel in park solution to touch up the scratched areas.  

If you don't have access to park solution, you can use birchwood casey gun blue touch up pen to hit small scratches to at least take the shine off.
View Quote

No access to park solution. The scratches are fairly substantial, running around the barrel aft of the gas block area and again in front of the chamber.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm.  I guess it boils down to how much you want to spend.  On the cheaper end there's the rattle can, and on the other end of the spectrum you could blast and repark the section of the barrel between the gas block and the chamber.  How bad are the scratches?  If they're big, and leave lots of shiny spots, they might need to be blasted before a repark so the park takes, if you go that route.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#4]
If its only a few small scratches I've had good luck with just degreasing and then cold blue. Follow up with oil.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#5]
iraqveteran8888 on youtube had a DIY park solution
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Cold blue.

If you're going to try and touch up with a spot repark, you might as well just repark the whole barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top