Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2014 11:26:27 PM EDT
I just bought a Mosin Nagant (hex receiver because I thought it might have more value). I was thinking about just getting the cosmoline out of the stock and leaving it alone, but most methods I see will also take the old finish out of the wood. Is it even possible to have the best of both worlds (keep old finish so it keeps value, while also having no cosmoline)? If not, I will probably refinish the stock. I also wonder how much that will decrease the value! Input greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. unless you know a PERFECT method, I really don't need tutorials on how to refinish stock
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:32:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Mosins aren't valuable. Unless you're in it for the history, you can do what you want. There are people who will have you hanged for even talking about refinishing a Mosin no matter what condition it's in.

You have to post up some pics. What does the stock look like? I have a hex bolt I bought last year and plan to refinish it even if it doesn't look bad. It was $130 from bud's.

I'm going to strip it down, soak the metal parts in mineral spirits to clean off the cosmo. Clean and reoil.

Maybe throw the stock in a big garbage/contractor bag and let it sit in hot car for a day to sweat out a lot of the cosmo. Then sand it down to bare wood. Stain it with my choice of color (Minwood Gunstock 231) and put a few coats of TruOil on after that. That process should take a few weeks I think.

I'm gonna do the same for a Type53 I got at the same time as the hex. Not for any value of the rifle, but for fun.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:31:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Sako, Tikka and some Russian Mosins are relatively valuable...
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:35:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I got my dad one for Father's Day and we used diesel to clean it up.Didnt damage the stock and removed all the cosmoline.Then just oiled. Back up.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#4]
OP here, how do I post pictures?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#5]
How do you post pictures?
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP here, how do I post pictures?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sako, Tikka and some Russian Mosins are relatively valuable...particularly if they have been rebarreled by Sako or Tikka.
View Quote

FIFY.  Some French Mosins are more valuable than the Russian ones - b/c all the French Mosins are antique.  Americans tend to pay more for American Mosins.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless the stock has a tiger stripe/blotchy finish I wouldn't hesitate to re-finish it. Most Mosin stocks were refinished at the time of rearsenal anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top