Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2014 5:18:52 PM EDT
Very quick question.

So I plan on buying soon a billet lower and filing out the form 1 for an SBR.  Suppressor too but that will be after I get the gun finished.

I do not know how deep to make the engraving so that the cerakote will not fill in my text.  I know three thousands of an inch is required depth for engraving an NFA firearm.

Anyone have any experience with NFAs/cerakote?  I know you can get the barrel engraved but I would like to keep it on the lower.

Any help would be appreciated.  End gun will be .300blk unsuppressed until I fill out another form 1 for suppressor.   Colors will be dark grey cerakote upper/lower with SS barrel.  Furniture will be dark earth.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#1]
You could get it engraved after it's Cerakoted, insuring it will stand out more.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Will the clamp/vice used in engraving ruin the cerakote finish?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Will the clamp/vice used in engraving ruin the cerakote finish?
View Quote
I have no way of knowing what device is used at different shops who do engraving. Cerakote when done properly is pretty resilient and tuff, you could ask whoever you send your lower to, to be careful or if Cerakote will cover the engraving if you do it after. Yours will not be the first time they've experienced this, since a lot of people are into Cerakote right now.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Cerakote is generally applied at a thickness of only 1 or two mils, and I have my receivers engraved at 10, so you should be okay there..
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cerakote is generally applied at a thickness of only 1 or two mils, and I have my receivers engraved at 10, so you should be okay there..
View Quote

Do you use CNC engraving or laser?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote
They are done on an ole timey pantograph...

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#8]
As long as you meet the minimum required depth for NFA engraving cerakote will not cover it up...it's not thick like spray paint or duracoat.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#9]
You will already have gone the extra mile by getting the lower engraved at the required depth. Do you really think some ATF goon is going to use an electron microscope to determine post-cerakote depth? A lot of people never even get the lower engraved due to the ATF's indecipherable regulations and constantly conflicting letters.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You will already have gone the extra mile by getting the lower engraved at the required depth. Do you really think some ATF goon is going to use an electron microscope to determine post-cerakote depth? A lot of people never even get the lower engraved due to the ATF's indecipherable regulations and constantly conflicting letters.
View Quote
This is not good advice for those wanting to avoid 10 years and/or a $250K fine...

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#11]
10 mils is great for engraving.

I'm a factory trained cerakote applicator and do it for a living. Cerakote is extremely thin. I've coated some guns that actually had stampings appear clearer after Cerakote than with it's original finish. With proper application, you'll get very discernible crisp lines on the engraving with Cerakote. Just have the engraver run deep for good measure and have a certified applicator do the coating and you'll be G2G.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could get it engraved after it's Cerakoted, insuring it will stand out more.
View Quote

this for sure, it will look great.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing a laser can engrave deep enough is on plastic.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:52:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Engraving will take off both the hardcoat and cerakote and leave bare metal.  And I am about as far from artistic as one can get.  Granted aluminum creates a layer of oxide but I would rather the whole thing be solid cerakote.  If I ever grow a pair and try to paint myself I would probably use the heat+lacquer stick method.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#15]
This is not true at all ( about the laser ) the shop I use can burn completely thru a lower if they wanted to.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is not true at all ( about the laser ) the shop I use can burn completely thru a lower if they wanted to.
View Quote

This is correct. there are surface lasers and subsurface lasers for the engraving, two different things entirely.  I have had a few done each way and also have them CNC machined and hand engraved by a "master" engraver.   I prefer the CNC best.

"master" engraver the worst.  TIP : let a machine do your engraving. LOL.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:00:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the laser.

There are lasers that burn right through 2" steel plate. Just requires a different wavelength.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I had my billet lower (CMT) laser engraved by the manufacturer (at the shop) and it was to the same depth as the factory markings. I painted it twice and the markings are not filled and are clearly legible. They have the laser in house and could possibly engrave and anodize it if you order direct from them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RqeUG393EkE#t=245
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:14:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had my billet lower (CMT) laser engraved by the manufacturer (at the shop) and it was to the same depth as the factory markings. I painted it twice and the markings are not filled and are clearly legible. They have the laser in house and could possibly engrave and anodize it if you order direct from them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RqeUG393EkE#t=245
View Quote

Never heard of CMT before but now I am very interested.  I might go with them now instead of Northtech for my billet upper/lower.

Edit - Does anyone know if they anodize AFTER engraving or BEFORE?  If they engrave after anodize I will probably have to use alumablack.  I am debating whether or not I really want cerakote as this might be more for HD than a rangetoy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top