Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2014 8:22:42 AM EDT
I'm having an issue painting a cheek riser for my rifle. I did a sponge camo paint job on it, however a section of it won't dry and is still tacky after 6 days. The rest of it dried to the touch within an hour. Of course, the part that is tacky happens to be exactly the part my cheek touches.

Here's what I did:

Rustoleum camo 4 layers, about 20 minutes apart like the cans say (Within 30 minutes or after 24 hours). I followed this up with a layer of clearcoat (krylon brand). I did the rest of the rifle this way earlier and did not have an issue.

I shot the rifle soon after painting, which is when I noticed the tacky area. Is it possible sweat from my face caused it? I let the cheek rest sit for 5 days and it has not changed.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#1]
The cheek rest area won't dry?
Sounds like you didn't degrease before painting.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The cheek rest area won't dry?
Sounds like you didn't degrease before painting.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Makes sense. However, it was a brand new cheek rest, never had my cheek on it, and painted it before I installed it for the first time. Don't understand why the rest of it dried fine.

Is it possible oil/sweat from my face seeped into it before it was fully dried?
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#4]
sun bake it
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it rubber or rubber like?

Set it out in the sun for a day or more.

If that doesn't work, restart.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#6]
dont forget even new plastic has fresh oil on its surface
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Clean the paint off, use a good plastic primer first and start over.  Let each color dry completely before moving on to the next one.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Clean the paint off, use a good plastic primer first and start over.  Let each color dry completely before moving on to the next one.
View Quote

Yep, that's what I did. So far so good. Only have clearcoat left but I'm giving it extra time to dry before I apply it. Think a full day is enough?
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#10]
So I repainted it and the same thing is happening. I had let it dry two days before adding clearcoat, and it was dry after clearcoat. However after putting my cheek on it a few times, it started to become tacky again.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#12]
So I did as above, and the exact some thing happened. This time, I did clean before applying paint.

Here's what I did:

Base layer of OD
3 layers of sponge camo
Clearcoat.

I waited about 3 hours between coats of paint and 24 hours between paint and clearcoat. It was felt fully dry when finished. HOWEVER, when I put it to my cheek the spot where my cheek rests got tacky. Any ideas on what's gonig on? If I do it again, I will just skip the clearcoat.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Might be some oily resin embedded in the plastic.
Strip it again and lightly rough the surface with fine sandpaper.
Try 200 grit.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Might be some oily resin embedded in the plastic.
Strip it again and lightly rough the surface with fine sandpaper.
Try 200 grit.
View Quote

I used 100 and then 400 grit before repainting. It was fine until I put my cheek on it. I guess oils on my face?

The paint used was rustoleum camo, does anyone know how long that takes to fully cure? I know Krylon camo lists a few hours, I assumed rustoleum was similar.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#15]
damn. I don't know then.
Heat cure with a hair dryer?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Did you do a mist coat at first? Barely mist it and let it dry for half an hour. Are your other coats too thick?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#17]
What is the cheek riser made of, and how are you cleaning it prior to painting?  Many plastics have mold release agents that can be a bitch to clean off prior to applying a finish.

Anytime you want to paint a plastic, you should do an extensive cleaning prior to any sanding.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#18]
https://store.magpul.com/product/MAG326/104

Cleaned it with alcohol and water before sanding.

I did the same thing with the rest of the CTR and it's doing just fine. In fact most of the cheek riser is fine, just the section that my cheek touched that is having problems.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

So I repainted it and the same thing is happening. I had let it dry two days before adding clearcoat, and it was dry after clearcoat. However after putting my cheek on it a few times, it started to become tacky again.
View Quote
Give it time.

The more you mess with it the longer it will take to dry.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Give it time.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Give it time.  

The more you mess with it the longer it will take to dry.
Also after 24 hours you can take a wire brush to the stock and that should help get rid of the tacky feeling.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Try a different clear coat, I had a similar problem with Krylon matte clear once. It stayed sticky until I sold the gun, if you laid it on anything fabric it would stick to it like glue
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
damn. I don't know then.
Heat cure with a hair dryer?
View Quote

This is my thought as well . Try a little heat
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:39:58 AM EDT
[#23]
This sounds dumb, but rub baby powder into the paint. It may take a couple times, as the paint cures from the inside it will tack up again as moisture rises to the surface, but it works.
Then follow up with some very LIGHT coats of clear. Preferably flat/matte clear. And try to not do it on a humid day.

Seriously...baby powder.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 1:48:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I ran into o the same thing on the buttpad of my sopmod stock... Dried fine in an ergo grip, but not on that part of the stock. I fixed it by not painting it.

It was always tacky no matter what.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top