Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2014 8:44:10 PM EDT

Sister delivered her old Colt Cobra to me this weekend " I can't even take it to the range looking like this" and "I just want it all one color"

Backstory; she thought she would do a home refinish not knowing that it was an alloy frame, so it's been sitting in a drawer for a decade or two, embarrassed to show it's naked face.

Besides the bare frame, there is some (minor) external pitting on some of the steel, which I think I could buff smooth.

So, why not Cerakote a revolver? And what color would look best if going for an original style look?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Black.  I carecoated a GP101 years ago, it didn't hold up to well in the area where the hammer was and where the pin  came through the 'breach plate (?).  The cylinder wore a ring off around the locking 'dents' and I started to rust after a few trips to the range.

In retrospect, I should have just had it blued.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#2]
What product would need to be used to blue an aluminum frame?

would the barrel have to be removed?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The aluminum frame is an anodizing process not blue.  The barrel would have to be removed to re-anodize the frame.  Anodizing is not a an easy DIY process.  It requires chemicals, power supplies and process control.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
pics?

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#5]
" />

Added a pic, haven't used this phootbucket in years...
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Clean up what you can, fill the pits in the steel; take it apart as much as you can and cerakote it.  Something like midnight blue would be close as you'll get to a 'blued' look with an opaque finish.  

link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top