Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2014 6:57:26 PM EDT
I had a business Cerakote a JP .308 barrel and loose muzzle device for me and got it back last week. I had specifically instructed them to tape off the bore, interior of the receiver extension and gas port opening.  I picked it up and the finish look great… until I unscrewed the comp and saw this…

I started bitching to the Receptionist and he paged the “applicator” into the front office to talk to me. He looked like an 18 Y.O. kid. The kid told me the tape on the muzzle “blew off” when he shot it with the Cerakote.  They told me “it’ll shot right out”. The barrel has about 120 rounds down the tube.  I cleaned the bore and muzzle with Wipe Out and it didn’t touch the Cerakote. I didn’t think to ask at the time why he didn’t clean it out before baking the finish.  I guess if it doesn’t shoot I’ll chop it into an SBR
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep... it's fucked.

Send it to me I'll dispose of it for you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 4:23:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:46:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I doubt that will cause any problems.

Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Tape? It should have been plugged and taped. And the proper tape wouldn't have blown off.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#5]
If you plan on shooting it don't worry about it, it'll come out. If you only plan on dressing it up and doing photo shoots, then sell it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 1:39:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe I'm missing something, how could that little of paint in the barrel affect anything?

I understand being pissed about the paint, but as far as actually using it..I don't get it?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not worried about the paint causing a problem. I was frustrated that I specifically asked them to not get any paint in the bore any they didn't do it. Trust me I'm going to shoot it, again and again and again.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe I'm missing something, how could that little of paint in the barrel affect anything?

I understand being pissed about the paint, but as far as actually using it..I don't get it?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#8]
you wont know til you shoot it. nothing wrong with calling them out on it.its the last thing the bullet sees and of course it can affect the way it shoots.poor prep job.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#9]
At 120rds down the tube, your barrel is not even fully broke in yet.

Cerakote is great for chemical and thermal wear, as well as some friction wear. It is not good for high pressure friction as it bonds to, not with, the metal surface (it is a coating, not a surface treatment).

Unless you have a safe queen, a good trip to the range should have this cleared out. The speckles on the muzzle might take longer to wear off, since they are only exposed to flame, high temp gas and micro particles.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:01:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quick update... I put 28 rounds downrange over the weekend. Both accuracy and functioning were good. Now I'm waiting on some warmer weather to cerakote the hand guard and the finishing will be done.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#11]
are you in the Portland area? who did your work?

I am in Eugene, but just curious as to what shops are doing Cera Kote
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Springer Precision in Bend is the shop that coated my barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top