Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
At the beginning of this thread I complained that the ATACS-AU Gunskins had a 'peach hue' to it, and it didn't match my ATACS-AU fabrics. Gunskins changed the coloring of this pattern and I verified that when I installed the new film to an AK-47 WASR also earlier in this thread. I wanted to redo the first AR-15 in this thread with the improved ATACS AU film.

Here are a few pictures I took outside this morning with my Plate Carrier. I continue to be happy with the coloring improvements Gunskins did to this pattern.

(ETA: Yes, my plate carrier still has the AK mag pouches on it. I was too lazy to change the out for my AR mag pouches just for these photos )
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Has anyone just gotten one of the big sheets to wrap magazines and other random stuff?
I wonder how many mags could be wrapped with either the 8" x 50" or 6" x 72" sheet, and
which of the two would cover more mags with the least waste.  And would it be more cost
effective?  I guess it'd have to cover 7 or more mags to be a better deal than their precut
mag covering kits.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Have ya'll found it easier to apply with a disassembled weapon?  I have a new build I am working on and thinking of using this prior to assembly.  Also notice the company has a 10% off sale right now.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have ya'll found it easier to apply with a disassembled weapon?  I have a new build I am working on and thinking of using this prior to assembly.  Also notice the company has a 10% off sale right now.
View Quote

Partial disassembly, yes. I remove things like grips, safety selectors, optics, etc and then wrap the components. It gives it a more finished look once those items are reattached.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Partial disassembly, yes. I remove things like grips, safety selectors, optics, etc and then wrap the components. It gives it a more finished look once those items are reattached.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks...I am thinking of ordering this week and just doing the individual pieces as I get the parts in.  I am planning the multi-cam, and will probably pick up the B5 Sopmod stock and p23 grip that are already multicam.  That should save me some material for other items.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 12:23:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks...I am thinking of ordering this week and just doing the individual pieces as I get the parts in.  I am planning the multi-cam, and will probably pick up the B5 Sopmod stock and p23 grip that are already multicam.  That should save me some material for other items.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good. I've never run out of the Gunskins material from their AR-15 kits, FYI.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered the multicam kit for AR15s and I will start applying it when it gets here.  As I am still collecting parts for my build, I will attempt to apply everything before assembly to see how it goes.   I can always patch if need be, plus all my parts are already degreased so far.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I ordered the multicam kit for AR15s and I will start applying it when it gets here.  As I am still collecting parts for my build, I will attempt to apply everything before assembly to see how it goes.   I can always patch if need be, plus all my parts are already degreased so far.
View Quote

Take your time, use a heat gun, and realize that your first time won't be your best performance
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Did the wife's gun today

Link Posted: 5/21/2014 12:35:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Take your time, use a heat gun, and realize that your first time won't be your best performance
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll agree with that, round 2 was definitely much smoother than 1. I'm actually thinking of doing one for myself
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 1:10:10 AM EDT
[#11]

I didn't do the grip. Didn't want to lose the rubber texture of the MOE+. The stock is a hydro dipped unit from Liquid gunworks. You can see the diff.

Closer.

Only the Sig brace and VFG on this one.

Also have it in this pattern..

How it comes. Rail length is 16"s worth. The large amt on the right is all extra. I still have enough to do another reciever(pistol above). I'll use the old templates to cut out the pieces.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 7:40:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Take the vfg off of the pistol
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Cool concept for sure, but I reckon I'll just keep spray-painting mine.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bzzzzzt. Wrong. Thanks for playing tho. 100% legal.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigbrace on an SBR? Ok
Just looking out for you, that's all.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sigbrace on an SBR? Ok
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigbrace on an SBR? Ok

Fair enough then. I appreciate it. Sorry for the response. Just gotten tired of seemingly endless posters thinking a VFG is illegal on such a build. Yes it IS if its under 26" OAL. If its over that, its good to go. Theres copies of letters from the ATF over in the Pistol forum stating as such.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Fair enough then. I appreciate it. Sorry for the response. Just gotten tired of seemingly endless posters thinking a VFG is illegal on such a build. Yes it IS if its under 26" OAL. If its over that, its good to go. Theres copies of letters from the ATF over in the Pistol forum stating as such.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigbrace on an SBR? Ok

The gun is over 26" and looks very good.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just read the letter. Didn't realize your AR was a "firearm". Cool.
I have a twelve gauge "firearm" myself. Wicked fun.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I did my stripped lower and stripped upper this evening for my new build.

A few things I noticed:  
1. There are some parts that you have to assemble and then do the gunskins (FA and Ejection Port cover)
2. A plastic retractable pen (with the ink retracted) works well to go around the edges of the lower and upper, as well as get in the little grooves and bends
3. It is really easy if you use a liberal amount of heat and just go slow!

I'm ready to get all my other parts now just to see how its going to come out!

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#20]
D16 - be sure to post pictures of your final rifle. Good start thus far.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
D16 - be sure to post pictures of your final rifle. Good start thus far.
View Quote

will do...this build might take a while, waiting on a 16" ARP 6.8 Scout barrel to come in stock....
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:58:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought it was relatively easy to work with. Aside from taking the grip, charging handle, optic, and rr BUIS off, I did mine already assembled. I did wipe everything down good with denatured alcohol and went at it, using a hair dryer. Took about 45 minutes for the complete receiver. As mine and most others, there's some short 1/4"-ish wide strips left over that go well over the mag release fencing and other small locations(brass deflector, charging handle, forward assist, optic, locking collar on the buffer tube, etc. this also saves the extra material they give you for other stuff). Here it is after just installing the receiver only a couple weeks ago. There is a slight raised edge that can be seen above the safety. Dunno why it did it. Didn't really notice it till later. No biggie. The mag is a hydro dip product from Liquid Gun. I later added a darker section(can be seen the previous posts above) on the right side above the grip where the noticeably lighter area can be seen in the bottom pic in this post.

Link Posted: 5/23/2014 1:44:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Cool concept for sure, but I reckon I'll just keep spray-painting mine.
View Quote

mine's the same, camo spray paint, the wife's and dads are gun skins.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Picked up a B5 Bravo in multicam today...did the comparison and the gunskins it not quite as "bright" in artificial light...in normal sunlight the match is much closer.  It must be this way with all of the gunskins.

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Picked up a B5 Bravo in multicam today...did the comparison and the gunskins it not quite as "bright" in artificial light...in normal sunlight the match is much closer.  It must be this way with all of the gunskins.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/q71/s720x720/10403232_10101351105211487_7791962751783533267_n.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, the Gunskins isn't quite 'right' under artificial light, but outdoors its very close.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#26]
After the first wave of doing the receiver on the pistol, using the extra material that the first kit came with. Still have some to do, but its coming along.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#27]
The VFG is gone. Was just trying it that day. No like. The remaining black areas are what the eyes are drawn to first(Delta ring, Flash can, light, strap to Sig brace, hand grip). A couple of the items shown are hydro dipped(CTR, quad rail, Pmag in pistol).

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#28]
AR pistol with ATACS-LE gunskins. Jury is still out now that I used Alumahyde ii - coyote on another build. Might get a grey and shoot this one as well.

Link Posted: 7/4/2014 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#29]
any suggestions on how to best cover a rail with the holes?  I am looking at an ALG M-LOK FF rail, thinking of using an exacto knife to cut the holes.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 11:33:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
any suggestions on how to best cover a rail with the holes?  I am looking at an ALG M-LOK FF rail, thinking of using an exacto knife to cut the holes.
View Quote

Yep, use an Exacto knife. Buy a few extra blades - fresh blades cut through the Gunskins smoothly. Once the blade gets a bit dull, it won't glide through anymore and you should switch to a new blade.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 2:33:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yep, use an Exacto knife. Buy a few extra blades - fresh blades cut through the Gunskins smoothly. Once the blade gets a bit dull, it won't glide through anymore and you should switch to a new blade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What this guy says. The UTG Pro slim handguard has a ton of holes. I bought gunskins for my 9" an 15" handguard. after doing the 9" handguard, I said EFF that to doing it on the 15" one.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#32]
How the 10.5" looks currently. 100% Gun Skins in this pic.

Spray canned 40rd mag.

Parts done on this one is the receivers, RDS, and barrel. Everything else is either spray can or hydro dipped.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Duplicate. Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#34]
For those of you with both Gunskins and Liguid Gunworks products, which do you feel is more durable?

What about the feel of the two?  Someone mentioned earlier that the Gunskins are little slick feeling - do the Liquid Gunworks hydrodipped products feel the same?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For those of you with both Gunskins and Liguid Gunworks products, which do you feel is more durable?

What about the feel of the two?  Someone mentioned earlier that the Gunskins are little slick feeling - do the Liquid Gunworks hydrodipped products feel the same?

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

I do not have any hydrodipped products from Liquid Gunworks, but I have several parts hydrodipped by Sexy Weapon.

The Sexy Weapon dipped parts supposedly come with a durable clearcoat applied to it. I think that's a joke because I've found all of my 'dipped parts to be easily prone to scratching. It's also not a 'thick' coating which results in any minor scratch showing the color underneath the 'dip. I've also found that on curved or round portions the hydrodipped pieces have a distorted or stretched pattern. It can look a little odd and may not blend in as well to a larger pattern (such as camo clothing of the same pattern)

The Gunskins are more durable, but if it gets a DEEP scratch it may show the white material below the printed camo pattern. It is uniform in the camo design in all areas unlike hydrodipping. Overall it is much, much more durable than my Sexy Weapon hydrodipped parts. It's far cheaper also.

As for the slickness, I find them about the same. Perhaps the hydrodipped parts are a hair less 'slick', but I really don't find either as being very slick after having used both for quite a while now.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks Troy, that's exactly what I needed to know.  I guess my next question is:  Do you think the gunskins will adhere to my Sig Brace pistol brace?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Many of the photos on Page 8 above show the SigBrace with Multicam Gunskins. It appears it's not an issue.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:19:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Many of the photos on Page 8 above show the SigBrace with Multicam Gunskins. It appears it's not an issue.
View Quote

Oh, I thought that they were dipped... my mistake.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:19:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far no worries sticking to the brace. BUT..I first painted the brace FDE. Mainly so the smaller tight areas that would have been hard to place the Skins on, wouldn't stand out as much.

Heres a better pic showing the more obvious painted areas.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Not sure how I feel about these as a firearm finish but they're pretty cool for things that can't be baked or submerged.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not sure how I feel about these as a firearm finish but they're pretty cool for things that can't be baked or submerged.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/hoodimonster/20140823_150553_zpsh5uaa4b_edit_1408829321103_zpsymegbhpl.jpg
View Quote

Those all look good. I haven't started putting Gunskins on anything other than firearms or magazines.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#42]
My rail will be in this week (got the 13" ALG EMOD) and hope to get my gunskins on it soon.  For those that have done rails, did you just apply the gunskins to the rail, and then do the cuts, or did you cut as you go?  I think I will heat the whole thing and let it cool, do the cuts, and then reheat to tuck in and to smooth.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My rail will be in this week (got the 13" ALG EMOD) and hope to get my gunskins on it soon.  For those that have done rails, did you just apply the gunskins to the rail, and then do the cuts, or did you cut as you go?  I think I will heat the whole thing and let it cool, do the cuts, and then reheat to tuck in and to smooth.
View Quote

Apply the Gunskins to the entire rail, then cut out the portions. Use a lot of fresh Exacto knife blades for the best results as it will slice through the Gunskins film much easier. Blades that are slightly worn will grab and not cut as smoothly resulting in jagged cuts.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Got it installed tonight...went through 2 carbide blades cutting the holes out.  Not the best job, but since MultiCam has black in it I didn't worry about it.  Pics were taken on my kitchen counter under artificial light, one with the sunset function on my camera and one black and white. In those two scenarios the gunskins is closer to the B5, and not as "pink".

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Looks good. Get it outside tomorrow and take some pictures - I bet the pink hue will be nearly gone outdoors.

I went shooting with my AK with ATACS-AU Gunskins today and it looks very, very close to the real deal outdoors.

Edit:   Added a photo from shooting today with my AK with ATACS-AU Gunskins. In the photo the plate carrier I'm wearing is ATACS-FG, but my shirt and battle belt are the ATACS-AU. I was too lazy to put on my AU plate carrier for this photo.

The ATACS AU blends in remarkably well with the natural rocks in my area:

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone have long term reviews on the stuff?  I'm seriously considering hitting my precision rifle stock with the stuff unless I upgrade stocks this winter.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Anyone have long term reviews on the stuff?  I'm seriously considering hitting my precision rifle stock with the stuff unless I upgrade stocks this winter.
View Quote

I've been using it for the last year and a half. I have it on numerous weapons, but the two that get the most use are an AK and AR that are both in this thread. I've had no issues at all - no signs of delamination or the adhesive coming off. No issues with fading. It's been a good product for me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've been using it for the last year and a half. I have it on numerous weapons, but the two that get the most use are an AK and AR that are both in this thread. I've had no issues at all - no signs of delamination or the adhesive coming off. No issues with fading. It's been a good product for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know.

I'm thinking ATACS FG for the stock and scope.  Might be putting a new Vortex 6-24x on it as well.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Is multicam not available from Gunskins?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:49:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Is multicam not available from Gunskins?
View Quote

It doesn't look like they offer Multicam anymore. Send them an email and see what's going on about that.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top