Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I just ordered a set of the multicam. I'm going to spray a rifle with a base of FDE, and then apply. I'll post some pics, but it will probably be 2-3 weeks before I can get this done.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just ordered a set of the multicam. I'm going to spray a rifle with a base of FDE, and then apply. I'll post some pics, but it will probably be 2-3 weeks before I can get this done.
View Quote

I think that would be the way to go. What are you going to paint the rifle - (Duracoat, Cerakote, AlumaHyde, Krylon, etc..)?
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd really like to give this a shot. I just don't know which camo I'd like best...
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think that would be the way to go. What are you going to paint the rifle - (Duracoat, Cerakote, AlumaHyde, Krylon, etc..)?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably just going to go with Rattlecan to start. I might try the Aervoe , but we are living in an apartment temporarily waiting for our new house so easier is better as I'm going to have to do whatever I do on the balcony of our place with 98% of my tools and gear in storage.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's what I put together. Quick degrease with carb cleaner, quick bake in the oven at 180, one coat of lowes dark brown rattle can, and about 2 hours of time applying (mostly dealing with the key mod.

Overall, it looks fair. It's no comparison to a hydro dip but it is a hell of a lot better than factory black. I won't do another, but I won't strip this one and ask for my money back either.

Also, for those interested, rifle is an anvil lower, palmetto magpul build kit, palmetto fn chf ultralight upper, fortis rail and rainier comp. total investment is $875 + 50 for paint/skins + sights.

Edited to add: the dark brown didn't really show, but it's a good blend with the multicam.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Here's what I put together. Quick degrease with carb cleaner, quick bake in the oven at 180, one coat of lowes dark brown rattle can, and about 2 hours of time applying (mostly dealing with the key mod.

Overall, it looks fair. It's no comparison to a hydro dip but it is a hell of a lot better than factory black. I won't do another, but I won't strip this one and ask for my money back either.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i423/ronnl001/AD3F7D3F-B50A-49D4-8707-5B39E53B168D-425-0000003730D53177_zps42501016.jpg

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i423/ronnl001/531C62E0-60DB-40B8-86EF-A9C8110A766D-425-00000037127BA4A3_zps2ef81842.jpg

Also, for those interested, rifle is an anvil lower, palmetto magpul build kit, palmetto fn chf ultralight upper, fortis rail and rainier comp. total investment is $875 + 50 for paint/skins + sights.

Edited to add: the dark brown didn't really show, but it's a good blend with the multicam.
View Quote
How did you bake it?

Whole gun or parts?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Tag
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How did you bake it?  

Whole gun or parts?
View Quote

Upper and lower assembled, but separate (only way they'd fit!)

I just did it to dry any residual brake cleaner out of the crevices in an expedited manner. I wanted to get this done in an evening so I wasn't exactly following "best refinishing practices."  A few minutes in the oven on low seemed like the easiest way, but if I had already gotten my wife's hairdryer out (needed for the skins anyways) I would have probably just used it instead.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#9]
That looks good!
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Had to give this a try after seeing this thread.  It's pretty much impossible with all the angles on an fs2000 to not get any creases but I think it turned out pretty well.  I had been looking for an option that would allow adhersion to polymer.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Had to give this a try after seeing this thread.  It's pretty much impossible with all the angles on an fs2000 to not get any creases but I think it turned out pretty well.  I had been looking for an option that would allow adhersion to polymer.
View Quote

Looks good. Are you going to wrap the remaining upper and other parts?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks. May wrap the polymer sides of the upper, but not sure. Kind of like the way it is now. Thanks for bringing gunskins up, never really thought of it as an option.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine has been a hit at the office (lots of gun guys here). I am a little OCD so all I seem to see are the flaws when I look at it, but everyone who looks at it gives positive feedback.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow I love that FN.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#15]
ordered a rifle kit-figured I'd try it on my Marlin 795-for kicks....Stoopid Fast Shipping (2 days to cross country-wow)  

Pics when I get it done (maybe today)
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ordered a rifle kit-figured I'd try it on my Marlin 795-for kicks....Stoopid Fast Shipping (2 days to cross country-wow)  

Pics when I get it done (maybe today)
View Quote

Looking forward to seeing your finished product.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Looks pretty good from that pic....I'm guessing with more time and patience it could look better-up close.

This is my first time so I'm cutting the product and myself a little slack.  The kids were not cooperating while I was working on it so that didn't help much either.

For what it is-Vinyl, I reckon I'm pleased....will I try another-or even an AR...not right now.  

I could see this being useful for someone who wanted to protect the finish of a nice gun, or have a different looking rifle.

not sure if I will use excess to wrap the Simmons Scope...?

for the $40, 2 day shipping and 1 hour of work-I ain't griping.

SCW
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
http://www.fotolode.com/images/SCWolverine/Misc/tiger.jpg

Looks pretty good from that pic....I'm guessing with more time and patience it could look better-up close.

This is my first time so I'm cutting the product and myself a little slack.  The kids were not cooperating while I was working on it so that didn't help much either.

For what it is-Vinyl, I reckon I'm pleased....will I try another-or even an AR...not right now.  

I could see this being useful for someone who wanted to protect the finish of a nice gun, or have a different looking rifle.

not sure if I will use excess to wrap the Simmons Scope...?

for the $40, 2 day shipping and 1 hour of work-I ain't griping.

SCW
View Quote

My experience as well. We have a local certified cerakote guy now - for my good rifles I'll just let him handle them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 4:57:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I do not believe for a second that this stuff can withstand being wrapped around a center fire suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Here is my workhorse. Some of it is dipped and the rest is the Gunskins. The hydrodip has more green in it and the skin has more of a tan.
Overall I am happy with it. I cut out some widows on the Lancer mag so I could still see my round count.

Link Posted: 11/26/2013 12:31:27 AM EDT
[#21]
NOTE: THIS WRAP WAS FROM USNIGHTVISION.COM NOT GUNSKINS

I did a wrap on my Mega LR308 in Kryptek Highlander. I must say I am disappointed in the actual color of the wrap, in bright flash and natural light it looks OK. But in all other lighting conditions it look down right pink. All of the lighter parts of the pattern is light pink. Not to mention the coloring even in natural light is no where near the actual Highlander pattern colors. Here are a couple pictures see for yourself.

Now this might not be an issue with different colors/patterns, but save yourself some time and money and don't go with the Highlander.

Without flash.

With Flash

Actual pattern.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 2:49:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I talked with Gunskins tech support and they recommended that you not apply it to the barrel if you heat the barrel up.  As mentioned before the vinyl is heat resistant, but they recommended keeping it off the barrel for rapid and auto.  I guess someone could test it out and report in.

I ordered some atacs fg but I don't plan to put anything on the barrel anyway,  just the furniture.  I like the idea of having a removable option.  There is a paint company that sells removable firearms coating in a spray can, cant remember the name?
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#23]
For what is all the firearms shown look great to me...but I don't think I read any reviews on texture...how does it feel...is it still like gripping a firearm or is it a little slick??
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For what is all the firearms shown look great to me...but I don't think I read any reviews on texture...how does it feel...is it still like gripping a firearm or is it a little slick??
View Quote

I'm interested too. Just by looking at it, I'd assume it has a slightly rubbery texture that gives you a teensy bit more grip than regular plastic furniture.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd say it's a little slick if anything
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#26]
It's slightly more slippery than non textured plastic.  It's really not bad at all. Also, in the final step where you heat it up and push with the palm of your hand it does an amazing job of taking on the texture of what it's adhered to. You can even see logos that were etched in the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Here is my workhorse. Some of it is dipped and the rest is the Gunskins. The hydrodip has more green in it and the skin has more of a tan.
Overall I am happy with it. I cut out some widows on the Lancer mag so I could still see my round count.

<a href="http://s71.photobucket.com/user/killoblivion/media/dc8f0d26-0338-4db2-aeea-92b71f37fad8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i136/killoblivion/dc8f0d26-0338-4db2-aeea-92b71f37fad8.jpg</a>
View Quote

Filthy looking stick, nice work.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd like to bring this thread back to life. Gunskins contacted me about trying out a prototype of one of their new AK kits. They sent me an ATACS AU kit for fee if I would give them some feedback on it before they went into production with it. They also told me that they changed the process for the ATACS AU and it has resulted in a better match to actual ATACS fabrics both indoors and outdoors.

I am very pleased with their AK kit, though I did give them about half a dozen small items they could improve upon for production. What I'm most happy about is their new ATACS AU printed patterns - it's now VERY accurate and no longer has a peach hue to it.

Onto the photos. I used an old Romanian WASR 10, which I had painted earlier this year with Brownell's Aluma Hyde II in Coyote. I applied the Gunskins wrap directly over the Aluma Hyde and it adhered very well.

Before Photo:

And some after photos:

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I like that a lot. Next month I'm ordering a set for my AUG, just trying to figure out color!
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Alright, that convinced me. I just ordered a rifle ATACS AU setup to try out on my Savage MKII

I'll report back with pics.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 12:30:53 AM EDT
[#31]
How is the durability, how it is holding up?
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 12:50:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

The AK in my newest posts I have not shot yet with the Gunskins on it. The original S&W AR-15 Sport that I started the thread with has had about 700 rounds through it on 3 shooting occasions. It's holding up great. No issues whatsoever.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The AK in my newest posts I have shot yet with the Gunskins on it. The original S&W AR-15 Sport that I started the thread with has had about 700 rounds through it on 3 shooting occasions. It's holding up great. No issues whatsoever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AK in my newest posts I have shot yet with the Gunskins on it. The original S&W AR-15 Sport that I started the thread with has had about 700 rounds through it on 3 shooting occasions. It's holding up great. No issues whatsoever.

That's great, thanks.  I was a little worried about how it would hold up to solvents.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#34]
UPDATE.

I ordered the Kryptek Mandrake and Typhon from USNightvision.com and I will say those look awesome in natural or artificial light. I will be wrapping my benelli SuperNova in the typhon, I will post when I am finished.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Got a multicam AR kit sitting under the Christmas tree right now (even though I'm not supposed to know about it). Looking forward to trying it out. I'll be sure to snap some pictures.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Got a multicam AR kit sitting under the Christmas tree right now (even though I'm not supposed to know about it). Looking forward to trying it out. I'll be sure to snap some pictures.
View Quote

Sweet. I'm curious how the Multicam looks. Post pics!
One word of advice that I cannot stress enough - clean and degrease all surfaces you'll adhere the Gunskin to. When you think it's degreased enough, keep going. I've found that the cheapo brake cleaner in aerosol cans from places like Walmart of auto parts stores works great. I use one or two cans per gun to degrease effectively. Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#37]
So what are all our options for vendors carrying this stuff?  Obviously found gunskins.com, but what else is there available?
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So what are all our options for vendors carrying this stuff?  Obviously found gunskins.com, but what else is there available?
View Quote

To my knowledge, the only company making pre-cut wraps like this is Gunskins.com.  US Night Vision sells a somewhat similar product for wrapping AR mags, called Rapid Wraps. I wrapped a few mags with their product and it is similar to Gunskins, but it is only for mags.
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

To my knowledge, the only company making pre-cut wraps like this is Gunskins.com.  US Night Vision sells a somewhat similar product for wrapping AR mags, called Rapid Wraps. I wrapped a few mags with their product and it is similar to Gunskins, but it is only for mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering where the poster before got the Kryptek wrap, was it not pre-cut I assume?
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I was wondering where the poster before got the Kryptek wrap, was it not pre-cut I assume?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Rapid Wraps are only precut for mags. I'm not sure if Gunskins has their products in Kryptek. (I'm in Mexico now with super slow internet, so I cannot check)
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Pulled out my multicam Gunskins today. Didn't have time to do the whole rifle so just did a mag. There were no instructions so I just slapped the two mag pieces on my pmag. Well I put them on sideways and it looks like ass

So that begs the question, will it mess up anything to peel them off and try again? Will it be less sticky? Any advice would be awesome.
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Pulled out my multicam Gunskins today. Didn't have time to do the whole rifle so just did a mag. There were no instructions so I just slapped the two mag pieces on my pmag. Well I put them on sideways and it looks like ass

So that begs the question, will it mess up anything to peel them off and try again? Will it be less sticky? Any advice would be awesome.
View Quote

They actually have installation videos on their webpage......you really should watch them before you do the rest of the rifle :)

If the mag already looks like ass, then it can't hurt to try to peel the wrap off and put it on the other way.......though I'm skeptical how well it will stick the second time.

Watch the videos, degrease the heck out of everything, then go for it!
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Just put in a order for a Atacs FG rifle kit for my Ruger Scout... Pics will follow..
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Pretty much finished with the multicam. Redid the mag and it looks way better. I'm fairly disappointed with the look. Maybe someone with a steadier hand could make it look better. I really think it would help to have a base of FDE on the whole rifle so any area not covered with the wrap wouldn't stick ou like the black.

The camera on my ipad makes the colors look different. It's much greener in person.

Link Posted: 12/26/2013 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#46]
That AK looks good in the wrap.
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Pretty much finished with the multicam. Redid the mag and it looks way better. I'm fairly disappointed with the look. Maybe someone with a steadier hand could make it look better. I really think it would help to have a base of FDE on the whole rifle so any area not covered with the wrap wouldn't stick ou like the black.

The camera on my ipad makes the colors look different. It's much greener in person.

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af310/BHO_GFY/A580BDE8-CECA-4CF7-94C2-6D72CAAE2FED-1623-00000302E2725792_zpsdfddc905.jpg
View Quote

With all the extra material you can cover the stock, barrel, flash hider, and the rest of your optic. That's what takes the most time in the entire process, but it makes it look much better in the end.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 1:17:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Has anyone done a shotgun yet?  I'm tempted to grab a set after I get my new stock and see what it looks like.  Will have to be careful wrapping a magpul stock though.

Might just send it off to get dipped.  Not sure really.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Do they make skins for AR-10/LR-308-sized rifles?  I didn't see on the website, but since you've talked to them, Troy, maybe you've asked or they've mentioned it?

I'm really interested in getting one of these (for an AR-15) to try out, then if they have them available, maybe on for my LR-308...
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

With all the extra material you can cover the stock, barrel, flash hider, and the rest of your optic. That's what takes the most time in the entire process, but it makes it look much better in the end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af310/BHO_GFY/A580BDE8-CECA-4CF7-94C2-6D72CAAE2FED-1623-00000302E2725792_zpsdfddc905.jpg

Gonna leave it as is. Didn't like the look of 100% camo. I like a little contrast to it.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top