Site Notices
9/18/2014 11:03:27 AM
Author
Posted: 1/8/2013 1:21:55 PM
I am in the process of building an AR Short Barreled Rifle. My goal is to build a Super Lightweight Competition Rifle. I plan to use Cerakote to the Upper and Lower Receivers, Buffer Tube, and possibly the Freefloat Hand Guard.

I understand Cerakote C is a great product as I have done extensive research on the product. I also understand Cerakote has self lubricating qualities. Is it possible to blast the inside of the upper receiver without harming the integrity and function?

Would the build of the product impede function of the bolt carrier?

The upper receiver also does not have feed ramps extended. Is it possible to use a drimmel tool to extend the feed ramps from the crown or will this also hurt the integrity of function?

If the drimmel tool is acceptable, will the cerakote prevent further degradation of function?

Any advise would be appreciated.
WTFShane
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/8/2013 8:56:59 PM
[Last Edit: 1/8/2013 9:04:31 PM by WTFShane]
Lubricate the bolt carrier and charging handle as you normally would. There's going to be wear regardless. About not having M4 feedramps, thats another issue. A quick note, check out this pic:

My new upper is an A3 style upper receiver (no M4 feed ramps) and the barrel extension has the extended feed ramps. I'm a few hundred rounds in so far with a bunch of rapid firing and no problems.
Dan_Gray
blue kung fu panda
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/8/2013 9:01:26 PM
Cerakote will wear off on contact surfaces. Including feed ramps. Airccure cerakote is weaker than heat cure.
Fat like an alligator.
Reloading is Racism.
AKFF
Thread Killer
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/9/2013 5:28:42 PM
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:
Cerakote will wear off on contact surfaces. Including feed ramps. Airccure cerakote is weaker than heat cure.

This is true but I always like to add that any finish will wear off at metal on metal contact points. I have found cerakote to last noticeably longer than both duracoat and gunkote.

Feedramps. I have had rifles that fit into both the "good" and the "ok" picture catagories above. I never had an issue with the OK. Gun ran just fine.

Scorpionmain: I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else’s blood. I would have no problem with going out the same way.