Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2012 6:06:13 PM EDT
A freind of mine wants to coat a 1911 slide and is thinking of using Gunkote bake on finish and am wondering if the heat can damage the night sites
What do you guys think?.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you should take the sights out first.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
It would be best if you were to remove the sights. If that is not an option, then depending on the manufacturer you should be okay. I bake mine a little lower than the recommended 325. I think you can achieve full cure at as little as 275*f
and as a little as 45 Min.

Spray a piece of scrap, then after curing at 275 for 45 Min abuse the crap out of it and see if it holds up to your expected level of abuse. Don't use something bulky that will act as a heat sink like an anvil or something. Also, even though it is scrap, prep it properly so you get as close to an apples-apples comparison as you can.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Remove the sights prior to refinishing. Tritium tubes inside of the sights will not tolerate high temps for extended times required to cure a thermal coating. Most of the coating manugfacturers sell an ambient version of their thermal coatings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top