Site Notices
4/17/2014 3:33:50 PM
Author
Posted: 10/28/2010 8:02:05 PM
[Last Edit: 10/28/2010 8:02:05 PM by Lancelot]

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
Going to have to paint or whatever, my A2 stock as there appears to be no FDE option for that stock config. Which medium is going to
provide the best adhesion and scuff and mar resistance for this refinishing project. I'll be leaving the buttplate alone and just doing the
stock itself.
Stickman
Rainier Arms
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/28/2010 1:43:04 PM
Originally Posted By jaygee:
Going to have to paint or whatever, my A2 stock as there appears to be no FDE option for that stock config. Which medium is going to
provide the best adhesion and scuff and mar resistance for this refinishing project. I'll be leaving the buttplate alone and just doing the
stock itself.

Norrells or Gunkote thermal cure finishes have always held up very well for me.
Stick
sales@rainierarms.com
www.rainierarms.com
(253) 218-2999 Office
(253) 218-2998 FAX
www.weaponevolution.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stickgunner
sd_norske
I ♥ guns that rattle.
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/28/2010 1:46:01 PM
Duracoat makes FDE to match a number of different manufactures. Magpul and Vltor are the only two I remember but I know there are more.
"There comes a time in the history of any project when it becomes necessary to shoot the engineers and begin production." unknown
TeamWalker400
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/28/2010 5:09:39 PM
DuraCoat will match the color better most of the time. Plenty of DC haters here but it has its applications. Also, DuraCoat reducer will melt a thin layer of most plastics and will bond to that top layer. You can add a little retarder to allow the coating more time to bond before flashing off.
Jeff5252
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/28/2010 5:18:50 PM
Im pretty sure Duracoat also makes its own adhesion promoter for use with plastics/composites. Spray the adhesion promoter, then your selected color of FDE and your good to go
halfmoonclip
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/28/2010 8:12:38 PM
Alumahyde II from Brownells. I've done a bunch of retro A1 furniture with it, and it has proven very resistant to cleaning chemicals, oils and abrasion.
One caveat; let it cure for a week before actually handling or assembling the parts. It will feel dry sooner than that, but wait.
No drama to applying it.
BTW, I also used it on a Cav Arms buttstock, and it worked there as well.
Moon
strat81
Misanthropic Realist
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/28/2010 9:04:35 PM

The stock and handguards were done with Brownell's Alumahyde II in Coyote, then baked for 5 hours at 200*. The finish has held up very well. The slight color variation is mostly attributable to surface texture. The grip is a Tango Down in FDE and the sight is a Magpul MBUS, also in FDE.
"I believe in Karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day long and I assume they deserve it." - Dogbert

Join the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association today! http://www.nebraskafirearms.org/
zonker
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/1/2010 6:01:50 PM
Originally Posted By Jeff5252:
Im pretty sure Duracoat also makes its own adhesion promoter for use with plastics/composites. Spray the adhesion promoter, then your selected color of FDE and your good to go

bulldog adhesion promoter available at most auto stores is excellent for using on plastics.
raf
Sr. Staff, Armory and Outdoors Communities
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/1/2010 6:43:51 PM
FWIW, any coating is only as good as the prep work.

I've seen krylon do well when applied to a perfectly prepared surface. I've seen AH II do poorly when corners were skipped.
"The M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised." General George S. Patton Jr.,US Army