Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked Sponge Camo Tutorial (Page 10 of 10)
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Anybody else have problems with little pieces of natural sponge sticking to the gun? I tore them apart which is what I read to do, now I’m thinking maybe not so much
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 1:53:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OlympicArmsFan] [#2]
I was wondering if you guys could give me an idea of what to do to mine. I'm not wanting to sponge the entire rifle . . . at least I don't think I do. I do want to sponge a different rifle at some point.

I used Rust-Oleum -

Khaki as my base coat
Deep forest green for my first set of stripes
Earth brown for my final stripes.

I'm trying to get the technique down of feathering but I'm not doing it on my rifle. I don't want to keep adding layers if I don't have to.

Untitled by Kevin Wimer, on Flickr" />" />

Untitled by Kevin Wimer, on Flickr" />" />

Someone also suggested to me using a paint brush. I am looking at a thread now that used a paint brush and it looks interesting too. I think I want to blend the brown and greens into the tan. The pics of the rifle were right after painting it, so the tan has toned down some.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:07:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GrimEReaper] [#3]
Here's mine sponged at the end process. All Rustoleum camo from Walmart. I didn't see color names on the can we just chose from cap colors.

Link Posted: 10/19/2023 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's my recent effort.  I used Krylon Camoflage colors - Khaki, Olive, Forest Green, Brown.  My local area is North Alabama, so I didn't want to go too dark.

I degreased and blue taped anything I didn't want painted beforehand.

First let's spray the rifle in a broad pattern:

No interim photos since I was having too much fun doing it!

Final overview view:

Final closeup view:
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Great work

Link Posted: 12/17/2023 8:52:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wangstang] [#6]
Brownells has a free shipping on Aluma Hyde II promo running right now. You can stack with an additional discount code, TA10 = 10% off 150 or more. GIFT10 = $10 off $100.

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/paint-metal-prep/paint-finishing/aluma-hyde-ii/

For what it's worth there's a thread where a guy bought a can on Amazon and had problems and then posted that one Brownells rep said there was a problem with some of the cans.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Aluma-Hyde-is-putting-out-bad-cans-confirmed-by-Brownells/19-548639/
Another user here, @Baron_Von_Savant , responded in that thread:
Originally Posted By Baron_Von_Savant:
Let me just start by apologizing on behalf of individual that gave you that information, it was incorrect. As the actual Aluma-Hyde II Tech Guy, I can confirm that there are currently no known issues with Aluma-Hyde II and that's not to say you didn't get a bad can, obviously you did and Brownells will take care of it. I use Aluma-Hyde II straight from inventory almost weekly in the Brownells studio and can assure you that Brownells is not knowingly sending out bad product to customers.
View Quote

Also, for those curious...In my experience, Aluma Hyde II, applied by spraying from the can directly on parts, as well as sponge applied, will adhere to all of the typical firearms finish surfaces if you clean them properly. Despite some reports of it not adhering to Cerakote, in my experience it will adhere to backed on Cerakote so long as you clean the Cerakote with 90% alcohol and let it cure once applied for at least a week. I also have had great results with spraying multiple colors onto mixing surface and custom blending colors for sponge application.
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Tacked Sponge Camo Tutorial (Page 10 of 10)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top