Author
Posted: 7/15/2009 9:19:39 PM
[Last Edit: 7/15/2009 9:19:39 PM by QUIB]
i'm putting together my first lower and its not going well...i already have some small gouges that i'll need to touch up when i'm done, whats the best paint to use? i know i need matte black but is there a certain type/brand i should use?
godrilla47
displacer of dirt...
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/15/2009 8:33:09 PM
Use masking tape to avoid f-ups. Aluminum black should work just fine for you.

"Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself." -Thomas Jefferson
StealthyBlagga
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/15/2009 9:38:35 PM
The best touch up I have found is the Birchwood Casey touch up pen (not the bottle of aluminum black, which is worthless in my experience). Ultimately, though, any touch up finish will wear off relatively quickly. Your best bet, if the scratch bothers you that much, would be one of the many excellent spray-and-bake finishes, such as KG Gunkote.
strat81
Cowboy, Astronaut, Millionaire
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/16/2009 11:10:45 AM
Birchwood-Casey ALuminum Black works well. Degrease the area with rubbing alcohol and apply the chemical with a clean q-tip.

If you want to actually refinish it, disassemble it, hang it from a stainless steel wire, soak it in acetone to degrease it, then use a thin coating like Gun Kote. Brownell's sells it in liquid (for airbrushes) and aerosol (rattle can).
"I believe in Karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day long and I assume they deserve it." - Dogbert

Join the NE Firearms Owners Association. www.nefirearm.com