Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#1]
New NXS...had to round up some pine needles and get busy...

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
A couple me and my 10 year old daughter did today. I think hers came out better than mine. Pretty good for a 10 year old. All I did was prep it for her.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:34:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hawgleg44] [#4]
Updated with better pics.

Another one done today. Kind of a hybrid Pinestraw job.

I did it a little backwards but I like the way it came out better. I started with a Rustoleum OD Green base then went with Rustoleum Khaki highlights using ferns as patterns. Then to add a shadow effect I used Krylon Brown and broom bristles fanned out in my hand. All that is masked is the foam on the Ace ARFX stock, the magnifications on the Leupold scope and the Nickel Teflon coated trigger. I still have to paint the inside of the front Butler Creek scope cover but I'll wait to do that when I paint up the 45 degree back up iron sights I'm getting for it.

This build is on an Eagle Arms division of Armalite lower, mostly DPMS LPK except for the flat, nickel Teflon coated 2-stage trigger, Ace ARFX stock, Magpul triggerguard and Badger Ordnance charging handle latch. The upper is built with an Armalite 1:8" twist heavy target barrel, Miculek brake, YHM rail forend, Harris bipod and a Leupold 3.5-10x scope using Zeiss rings.

With the 1:8" twist it shoots like a laser with heavier bullets. It likes Black Hills 68gr HP Match but it really likes 75gr Hornady TAP. The TAP shoots less than 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I can't wait for coyote season this year. Yes, we have a season for them here. I hate this state.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]
And a few more. What, am I the only one doing any painting?

I'm still not doing Pinestraw the "right" way. I guess you can call it a Modified Pinestraw process. I don't start with the lightest color like just about everyone does. I do a solid coat of OD Green, use Khaki next with ferns as patterns, but I don't paint the entire gun. Just a few places where I want the ferns. Then I use brown to add shadows using broom bristles fanned out in my hand.

My friend saw my rifles and wanted his spotting scope painted. Here it is:

Next is another AR. It had been painted before but I swapped around and added some accessories and was really beat up from daily use. I sanded any deep chips in the paint with Emery Cloth. It ended up being pretty much completely sanded and almost down to one layer of paint on most of the carbine.

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Got this done tonight.

[/URL
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Had to paint up the Trijicon...
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Here are my meager contributions:

And my most recent
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#9]
For her 15th birthday, I got her a new SLR gas block with freshened up krylon...

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I want to try this on my DDM4.  I took it out hunting this last season and it was sooooo BLACK in the woods that it wouldn't blend in except in the dark of night.

To summarized what I've read here is degrease with brake cleaner and close up glass on optics with tape/lens covers and have at it.  I like the lighter colored base coat with the brown green accents over that...
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#11]
That's what most people do, but if you use the process that I do with the broom bristles or whatever you are using fanned out in your hand, I found it works better to do a base of green then add khaki and brown accents over that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Finally got the balls to do one of my rifles, I've read through this thread so many times, and knew this is what I wanted to do.

Did the brake cleaner degrease, then rustoleum khaki base coat, and earth brown accents, trying to decide if I even want to mess around with another color, I'd like some green, but the Army green color is an awful light green.

Pinestraw/long pine needles are hard as hell to find here in my part of Missouri, so I went to hobby lobby and bought some decorative dried field grass, and I think it works pretty well.

My Larue stealth barreled SPR

Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:52:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bjwar10] [#13]
Another change to my good ol' AR10...swapped my SWS E1 quad rail for a SLR ION and of course had to pinestraw it up.  Not a good pic but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:55:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bjwar10] [#14]
Outfitted my AR15 with a new SLR Sentry 7 and ION handguard to match my AR10 along with an Arisaka light mount...and of course some paint!

Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Man,  I hate Photobucket
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Hatd to believe it was over 12 years ago that my obsession with pinestraw began...still going strong!

" />
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Here’s one I recently did using pinestraw
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dday_1944:
https://i.imgur.com/u1CJeV6.jpg

Here’s one I recently did using pinestraw
View Quote

Nice. I don't know why pinestraw pattern doesn't get more love, I think it looks awesome. I need to get off my ass and do one.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I think I’ve seriously been eyeballing this thread since you first started it. Finally got around to doing my very own pinestraw camo job.

I used Rustoleum in khaki, earth brown and forest green. I didn’t have any actual pinestraw handy so I picked up a cheap corncob broom from Walmart. I think it turned out pretty good.

Link Posted: 8/9/2020 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mattjedi:
I think I’ve seriously been eyeballing this thread since you first started it. Finally got around to doing my very own pinestraw camo job.

I used Rustoleum in khaki, earth brown and forest green. I didn’t have any actual pinestraw handy so I picked up a cheap corncob broom from Walmart. I think it turned out pretty good.

https://i.imgur.com/JKNS6Js.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/COWYgmh.jpg
View Quote

SUPERB!!!!!!!

Also the flattest finish I've seen in a long time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:02:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mattjedi] [#21]
Originally Posted By tucansam:

SUPERB!!!!!!!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tucansam:

SUPERB!!!!!!!

It’s REALLY flat. We will see how durable it is.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Love it!
Great job!
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 5:41:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mattjedi] [#23]
And in it’s natural environment...

As it turns out pinestraw camo and ATACS-AU both work really well in the high desert. Mandalorian logo not so much (though it does add significant cool points)

Gratuitous up close pic

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Did this today

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/16/2023 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Been a while...

Link Posted: 10/18/2023 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
https://i.imgur.com/wOjw1Ze.jpg
View Quote

203 looks lonely without a home. I'll gladly re-home him for you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

View Quote

I’ll trade you for the SR-25.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top