Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 67
Link Posted: 9/29/2006 12:51:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: newARbuilder] [#1]
that looks awesome, I normally like the black rifles, but that... that's sexy right there.  How did you fill in the Weatherby writing?

Originally Posted By Striker:
Here is a Weatherby Mark V I finished for a customer last night. Did the barrel and receiver twice and the floorplate for the mag 4 times before I was happy with the way it looked. My photophu sucks though!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/5speed/weatherby.jpg
Link Posted: 9/29/2006 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2006 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By Currahee:
Do ya'll just spray the krylon right over the levers and mag release catch etc?

I do...but I've been called retarded before

About 15 coats of Krylon...various and assorted colors under the OD green
Link Posted: 9/29/2006 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I will probably get s#it for posting this but o well:

This Glock 19 was auctioned off at the Northern Virginia Friends of NRA banquet this past Friday.  It turned out to be the most exciting item of the night with 5 people bidding on it and the proceeds went to the NRA Foundation.  

In case you were wondering its Duracoat Lady Pink and the pictures were taken before the clear coat.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2006 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/29/2006 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By SNIPERm88:
I will probably get s#it for posting this but o well:

How much did you pay for it?

See what I am talking about!  
Link Posted: 9/29/2006 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By Special_k:

Originally Posted By ocmike:
Heres a quick one to start, I'll try to get some more up later.  ABS barrel with stainless areas, larue block, and vortex sprayed with colt grey duracoat.  Stock, pistol grip, eotech and bottom rail panel duracoated also.

octacoma.com/ar2a.jpg

This is very close as to what I want to do to my RRA rifle.  Would you mind sharing which duracoat color you used and how it was done?  I appologize, this is going to be my first try at refinishing.  I'll be ordering trhe SOPMOD this coming week and I'll be practicing on the stock that came with the rifle before I actually do the LMT SOPMOD.

+1 on what is this color?
Link Posted: 9/30/2006 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By Special_k:

Originally Posted By ocmike:
Heres a quick one to start, I'll try to get some more up later.  ABS barrel with stainless areas, larue block, and vortex sprayed with colt grey duracoat.  Stock, pistol grip, eotech and bottom rail panel duracoated also.

This is very close as to what I want to do to my RRA rifle.  Would you mind sharing which duracoat color you used and how it was done?  I appologize, this is going to be my first try at refinishing.  I'll be ordering trhe SOPMOD this coming week and I'll be practicing on the stock that came with the rifle before I actually do the LMT SOPMOD.

Sorry for the late reply just saw the post now.  I used duracoat advanced tiger stripe brown.  You'll have to call them to order the color, it normally comes with one of kits.  No special technique, just degrease the stock like any other part and spray.  Like everyone says prep is the key.  I usually set the compressor pressure to about 30-35 and use a 12 to 1 mix with paint and hardener.  I usually put about 3 coats on and wait several hours between coats if not over night.  once painted let parts set at least 24 hrs before putting everything back together and then let it sit in the safe a few weeks to fully harden before beating it up.  The one down side of duracoat is the cure time, duracoat does make camo jobs and touch ups a lot easier though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 12:13:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Montana3gunner] [#9]
Currahee - here's the finished project.  See my earlier post for colors/finish on stocks and mag extension. My goal was a camo that would look good at a 3 gun match (in kind of a WWII desert camo kind of way) but also be a good duck/goose camo in these parts.

The receiver (first layers) is Norrells flat brown and tan, and Duracoat desert beige and mint.  I wanted to experiment with layering the two products. If it doesn't work, I'm ok with re-doing it.  The Norrells flat tan came out very similar to the DC dark earth.  The bolt and trigger are Norrells brown and tan only.  

The first pic is the tactical setup.  The barrel is Norrells only as I use this barrel for 3 gun matches and it gets very HOT. In addition to the brown and tan, I mixed tan with white to lighten it and try to match it to the DC desert beige..as you can see I did a crappy job matching, the barrel is darker and more brown that the other parts.

Here is the hunting setup - same colors as the receiver.

Link Posted: 10/3/2006 12:28:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By Montana3gunner:
Currahee - here's the finished project.  See my earlier post for colors/finish on stocks and mag extension. My goal was a camo that would look good at a 3 gun match (in kind of a WWII desert camo kind of way) but also be a good duck/goose camo in these parts.

The receiver (first layers) is Norrells flat brown and tan, and Duracoat desert beige and mint.  I wanted to experiment with layering the two products. If it doesn't work, I'm ok with re-doing it.  The Norrells flat tan came out very similar to the DC dark earth.  The bolt and trigger are Norrells brown and tan only.  

The first pic is the tactical setup.  The barrel is Norrells only as I use this barrel for 3 gun matches and it gets very HOT. In addition to the brown and tan, I mixed tan with white to lighten it and try to match it to the DC desert beige..as you can see I did a crappy job matching, the barrel is darker and more brown that the other parts.

i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/gittings55/DSC01435.jpg

i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/gittings55/DSC01441.jpg

WOW!! You did a great job. Post some pics. after you burn a few through that barrel.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 3:16:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Well here is one of my latest ventures.

Before

After (I just thought the 1st one looked cool)

Link Posted: 10/3/2006 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By Montana3gunner:
i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/gittings55/DSC01435.jpg

i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/gittings55/DSC01441.jpg

Shotgun looks great and should be a very effective camo pattern...how about some pics outside?

Again, great job.

BTW - what kind of templates did you use...Bulldog,  duracoat, homemade?
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By Tested:

Before

www.swheath.com/weapons/blaser.combo.jpg

www.swheath.com/weapons/blaser.combo2.jpg

www.playafoot.com/photos/burningman/2005/271_8799.jpg

real nice.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 10:28:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Montana3gunner] [#14]
Tested and Bjwar - thanks!  I used Bulldog Flectar (sp?) templates...I think they work pretty good.

Tested - are you kidding me...your latest project looks positively BAD-ASS!  Looking at the picture with the fire, that reminds me of my attempts to try to preheat my gun and spray Norrells!!  (only caught my cardboard spray box on fire twice).

Link Posted: 10/5/2006 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's my SigArms Blue Star .223 rifle that got an OD GREEN paintjob ... my leupold scope/rings to match ... hope you like ... armacoat.net did the work in Canada ... these pics do NOT do the rifle justice ... damn thing was so ugly with the SMURF blue paint on it ... shameful ... HAHAHA ... so I had to have her painted ... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/Otokiak/SigArms6-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/Otokiak/SigArms4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/Otokiak/SigArms7.jpg
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's an HS Precision I just finished for a friend:

Link Posted: 10/6/2006 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is a recent one in Norrells OD and Socom Black

Link Posted: 10/6/2006 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#18]
This is currently in my garage waiting for the first coat of rattle can tan to dry.  I'll post pics once its complete.

CMMG 14.5" midlength in a CMT upper
Stag lower w/CMT LPK

Link Posted: 10/6/2006 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By ch2000:
Here is a recent one in Norrells OD and Socom Black

home.comcast.net/~chanson1969/ngar-15.jpg

very sweet.............

Link Posted: 10/7/2006 12:37:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jollyroger] [#20]
Ok, here it is. There are a few things I'll probably change to give it a better camo job. It was kinda dark in my garage so I didnt notice some of the things until I got inside with good light. Didnt do the Aimpoint since I might not be keeping it on this gun (waiting for the Meopta).

I'll definitely be changing this up a bit to get more dark areas to break up all that tan

**EDIT**  Ok, the first pics I posted were enough to make me go straight back out and make it look better.  Here are the new pics, I added a bit more green so that it didnt look so yellow.

Link Posted: 10/12/2006 6:45:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigk23surf] [#21]
My 16" Carbine
http://www.boomspeed.com/bigk23surf/gun8.jpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/bigk23surf/Gun4.JPG

The dark color is Dark Earth and the lighter is Desert Sand.  I used Bulldog arms stencils.  Let me know what you guys think.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 9:00:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Striker] [#22]
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 7:03:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mrrick] [#23]

Norrells, but have not shot it to heat up the finish, but soon!
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 10:34:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Noxspector] [#24]
Circa 1991 I decided that I needed to put together one of these AR-15 type rifles. So I purchased a kit without the lower from Nessards and one of the $59 Essential Arms Cast Lowers to put together. I had dreams of competing in the DCM/Hi-power matches that some of my friends were shooting. Well, I managed to scrape together enough cash to put the gun together, but never managed to really compete in the matches. So my AR was relegated to the occasional outing with friends.

Fast foreward until a few weeks ago when I had decided to "Pull the Trigger" and get started with this refinishing thing. I had contemplated what I should do for my first project, as I didn't know how it would turn out. Well I finally came to the decission that for my first project that was spurred on by this form, I should naturally do redo my first AR. It had been showing the signs of being well used over the years.

Well I decided to go foreward using Brownell's Moly Coating with an air-brush, as I get a discount from Brownells and I had an airbrush that had never been used. I also decided that I wanted to retire the Pre-ban lower as it might find it's way to a good home somewhere else. I also wanted a good excuse to try one of the new Esential Arms Forged Lowers that are being made now. When I ordered the lower(s) from Essential, I found the conversation very rewarding and learned much about the companies history. I ordered three lowers (2 in hard coat black and 1 in regular black) I recommend the paying the extra $2 for the hard coat.

At the same time, I decided that I would switch out the rear stock as it has some pretty decent dings in it and I was to impatient to work them out. I may still use it if I get around to making it prettier. I find the older one is heavier and helps balance out the 20" H-bar.

After learning MUCH during the process, I am nearing completion. I still want to either rework the original stock or darken up the new stock, but I was getting impatient to see what the finished rifle might look like.

I am reserving this post for final photos when I'mdone with the rifle. However, I thought I would post two quick shots I got before I lost the sunlight.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brownell's OD and Flat Black Molycoat applied using Harbor Freight Air-Brush.

The Bayonet was the very first thing I've coated. It was cheaper than the rifle.

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#26]
yes, I coated all pins, levers ect. just not any fiberglass parts or Eotech. I wanted everything to match since I whent so far with it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#27]
height=8

href=www.swheath.com/weapons/blaser.combo.jpg

I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of rifle is this and if this is a aftermarket stock who manufactures it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By ReignofSteele:

Before

www.swheath.com/weapons/blaser.combo.jpg

I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of rifle is this and if this is a aftermarket stock who manufactures it.

its a blaser, not sure what model.  cool link world.guns.ru/sniper/sn26-e.htm
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Here's my Rem700PSS I refinished yesterday with DuraCoat.

Link Posted: 10/20/2006 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By phylodog:
Here's my Rem700PSS I refinished yesterday with DuraCoat.
img182.imageshack.us/img182/6813/cimg0695mt8.jpg
img415.imageshack.us/img415/3364/cimg0698su9.jpg

You did a great job if I do say so. What template did you use?

Link Posted: 10/20/2006 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#31]
No template, blue masking tape a thin sharpie marker and an exacto knife.  I placed the masking tape on a plastic cutting board, drew the shapes on, cut them out with the exacto and put them on the rifle.  Worked out pretty well and cheap!
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#32]
f ing sweet...
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:57:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Striker] [#34]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:19:35 AM EDT
[#35]
SKS

It's not totally done yet. I work on it as I finish other ones and have extra paints. It is my test gun.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#36]

SKS

www.swheath.com/weapons/sks.1.JPG

www.swheath.com/weapons/sks.2.JPG

www.swheath.com/weapons/sks.3..jpg

It's not totally done yet. I work on it as I finish other ones and have extra paints. It is my test gun.

Looks really good...sometimes the best camo jobs are the ones where you aren't trying so hard.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Something a bit different. When the owner said he wanted them done in flat od green I thought..eeewwwww. but I really like the look.
We did the front sight, back sight, trigger and all the internal parts in gun kotes high moly flat black at the owners request. They now have the best sight picture of any model 10 I've shot.

best in the thread IMO....
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:52:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bonepickerx] [#39]
This is my first attempt at Duracoat. Used Stone, Desert Mirage Lizard, will finish with Sniper Green and flat black.

Finished the Duracoat paint job. The frigging rubber pistol grips suck! Need a better adhesive for the templates, plus the template cost is ridiculous.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:46:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Striker] [#40]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By bjwar10:

SKS

Looks really good...sometimes the best camo jobs are the ones where you aren't trying so hard.

+1. Tested..what did you use for mesh?

Thanks, I got it from a friend of mine. I think that it was a camo. fish net type of thing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:14:24 AM EDT
[#43]
It's an OD netting that snipers use for C&C. Looks like a real fishnet from a sporting store more than pantyhose.

In retorspect I would have secured the netting completely around the weapon and then painted it. It would also be nice if you had an extra hand to help hold it. You have to very careful when pulling the net off or it will smear the paint. Also want to hold it very steady and close to the surface if you want crisp lines.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:24:35 AM EDT
[#44]

SKS

Man, I like the way that mesh looks!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By bonepickerx:
This is my first attempt at Duracoat. Used Stone, Desert Mirage Lizard, will finish with Sniper Green and flat black.
www.bonepickerguitaramps.com/sitebuilder/IMAGES/2nd_Build_Duracoat_in_the_works-1027x332.jpg

I look forward to seeing it finished with the green and black.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:48:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chapperjoe] [#46]
I dunno, I'm not much of a blue fan except when its completely uniform and perfect.  that's why these flat finishes on old guns just tickle me pink.  the uniformity of the finish lets you appreciate the function and form itself, which is gorgeous.  Like the 1911's on teh cover of hte 1st edition of sweeneys 1911 book (pictured here next to a 1911 I had....

a good finish means there's nothing to distract you from the form itself, and  the FORM and FUNCTION of the guns like teh 1911 and the revolvers you are posting are what make them beautiful.

(that might've sounded a little artsy fartsy, but whatever.... )
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By Pistol_Pete:

Originally Posted By bonepickerx:
www.bonepickerguitaramps.com/sitebuilder/IMAGES/2nd_Build_Duracoat_in_the_works-1027x332.jpg

I look forward to seeing it finished with the green and black.

I will be posting a finished picture soon!
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 9:56:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawman734] [#48]
Here's my buddy's Savage that I recently refinished for him in Woodland using Bulldog Arms templates.
Overall, I'd say not bad for the first camo job (I've done a number of single color finishes before), there were a few things I learned that I would now do different-but it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

Link Posted: 11/7/2006 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/8/2006 8:23:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RoverG79] [#50]
Here is my Bushmaster lower and LMT upper I refinished in Duricoat Semigloss HK Black.  I did the lower, rail, foregrip, buttstock, and the EOTECH hood and batt comparment.  I think it looks good for my first time.

http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/7123/bushmasterww6.jpg

Page / 67
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top